Harvard University in the United States is taking applications for the 2022 PhD Academy Scholars Program available to all recent PhD beneficiaries and doctoral students.
The Academy Scholars Program recognizes and supports exceptional scholars at the start of their careers whose work merges disciplinary excellence in the social sciences or law with a knowledge of the language and history or culture of nations or territories outside of the United States or Canada. Their scholarship award may explicate domestic, comparative, or international issues, past or present.
The Academy Scholars are a chosen community of persons with creativity, initiative, curiosity, and originality, whose work in cultures or regions outside of the United States or Canada displays promise as a foundation for brilliant careers in major universities or foreign institutions.
Academy Scholars are chosen for a two-year, in-residence, postdoctoral fellowship program at The Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA. They obtain significant financial and research aid to undertake continued projects of research and/or obtain accessory training in their selected fields and areas. The Senior Scholars, a renowned group of senior Harvard University faculty members, functions as mentors to the Academy Scholars to assist them achieve their intellectual prospect.
Worth of Academy Scholars Program at Harvard University
- Postdoctoral Academy Scholars will obtain a yearly stipend of $70,000.
- If chosen prior to earning the PhD, the Scholars will receive a yearly stipend of $31,000 until granted the PhD.
- This stipend is complemented by funding for workshop and research travel, research assistants, and health insurance coverage.
- Some teaching is allowed but not mandatory.
Eligibility for Academy Scholars Program at Harvard University
- The competition for the Academy Scholars Program is available only to recent PhD (or similar professional school degree) beneficiaries and doctoral students in the social sciences or law.
- Those still pursuing a PhD must have finished their routine training and be well along in the writing of their theses before submitting application to become Academy Scholars.
- If you have finished a PhD program, the PhD conclusion date should be within three years of the October 1 application closing.
- You should have concluded your PhD or equivalent after September 30, 2018.
- The Selection Committee considers all candidates in one candidate pool.
Every year, four to six Academy Scholars are selected for two-year appointments. Academy Scholars are required to live in the Cambridge/Boston area for the length of their appointments unless travelling for pre-approved research reasons.
Postdoctoral Academy Scholars will obtain a yearly allowance of $70,000. If chosen prior to earning the PhD, the Scholars will obtain a yearly stipend of $35,000 until awarded the PhD. This stipend is complemented by funding for workshop and research travel, research assistants, and health insurance coverage. Some teaching is allowed but not mandatory.
Applications are welcome from qualified individuals without regard to gender, nationality, or race.
How to Apply for Academy Scholars Program at Harvard University
The finished application for the Academy Scholars Program will comprise:
- A cover letter which briefly states the candidate’s academic field, nation or region of specialization, and planned research topic
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resumé; with list of publications
- Research proposal (2500 words at most); including intellectual goals and planned methodological and disciplinary work
- A copy of your PhD program transcript
- Three letters of reference (uploaded via the online application)
Letters must be addressed to the “Selection Committee.”
Letters of reference should be uploaded by the deadline of October 1.
All parts of the application, with the three letters of reference, are submitted online as pdf documents. The online application is available on the homepage of The Harvard Academy’s website.
Questions should be sent to: [email protected].
You may add footnotes, endnotes, and/or bibliographies in your planned research statement, but they are not mandatory. If you do add references, they will not count towards the 2500-word limit for the research statement.
Application ends on October 1, 2021.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other USA scholarships here