Australian Student Visa

If you are going to study in Australia for a longer period of time you will need to apply for an Australian student visa. Here we guide you through the application process step by step.

1. Apply to an academic institution in Australia and get a CoE

Before you can apply for an Australian Student Visa you have to be enrolled at an Australian academic institution. After you have obtained an offer letter from a school, accepted the offer of admission in writing and paid their tuition fee deposit, the school will mail you a CoE, Confirmation of Enrolment. You will require this document to start your visa application. If you will take more than one programs, for example, first take a preparatory language program and then study at college, you will require one CoE for each program.

2. Create an account

These days, you normally submit application online for Australian visas. Before you begin your visa application you have to sign up for  an account at

You will be asked to supply your name, phone number and e-mail address. Then you get to set a password and accept their terms.

3. Ensure that you have all the required credentials in digital format

To submit application for a student visa you will need the following credentials:

  1. Your CoE
  2. An OSHC health insurance.
  3. Passport that if possible should be valid for your entire stay in Australia since it will be difficult to exchange your passport there when you study on an Australian student visa
  4. Evidence of temporary stay: on your application you will need to confirm that you only intend to stay temporarily in Australia. You can back up this claim by attaching an evidence of employment or a letter from your school in your home nation or similar credentials.

Subject to where you apply from and where you will school, extra credentials will be required. Some common credentials you might require are:

  • Extra ID documents like a birth certificate
  • Evidence that you can fund your studies, like a bank statement
  • Evidence that you possess enough knowledge to pass your proposed studies, like official grade reports and IELTS-test result.
  • Evidence of past employment like an employment letter, pay checks etc.
  • Documentation of criminal transgressions if you have ever been imprisoned.
  • To get a more detailed document list, go to and make use of the Document Checklist tool.

4. Fill out the visa application online

You are to apply for a student visa subclass 500. The application can be done 124 days prior to your program start date (in line with the date on your CoE). You apply online. Find more instructions at:

5. Pay the visa fee and obtain a TRN-number

When you have filled out the application you must pay the application fee which at the moment is 575 AUD. The easiest method to pay is with a credit card online. Find more information about the payment here:

When the application and payment is successfully done, you will obtain a receipt with a TRN-number (Transaction Reference Number). Ensure to save it so you can use it later on to check the status of your application.

6. Possible health check-up and interview

Dependent on where you will study and where you reside, you might also be required to do a health check-up and/or a visa interview. You will get the information about this when you fill out the application.

Don’t do the health check-up before you have filled out the application as you will require your TRN-number and you will get guidelines on what you need to check. On this link, you can find doctors in your nation that are endorsed by the Australian Immigrations to carry out this check-up.

7. Get your visa decision

How long it takes to get you visa decision depends on where you are applying from and how busy the Australian immigration authorities are. Normally the Australian authorities will notify you by e-mail once your visa decision is ready. Your visa is electronic so if you want a physical proof of you can print the grant letter that you receive online once your visa is approved.

8. Travel to Australia

Once you have gotten your visa, you can get into Australia 90 days before the program start date specified on your CoE. If you have not reserved housing through your school you should notify them of your address in Australia within 7 days of arriving in Australia.

Typically, you have the right to remain in Australia for 30 days after your programs ends or 60 days if your program lasts more than 10 months. All these date restrictions should be stated on your visa and if that detail varies from what you find here, you should always stick with the instructions on your visa.

Find more articles on Student Resources here

Related Articles

Back to top button