Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships in Canada 2021/2022
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships offer funding to the very best postdoctoral candidates, both domestically and internationally, who will positively add to the nation’s economic, social, and research-based development.
The goal of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships is to:
- attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral aptitude, both domestically and internationally
- develop their leadership potential
- place them for success as future research leaders
- Canadian citizens
- Permanent residents of Canada
- Foreign citizens
Areas of research
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering
- Social sciences and/or humanities
Benefits of Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
70 fellowship awards are granted yearly; around 140 awards are active at any time.
Fellowships are distributed evenly among:
- the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
$70,000 per year (taxable)
2 years (non-renewable)
Eligibility for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
Be certain that you and your proposed host institution satisfy the conditions below before you submit application for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships.
Applications that do not satisfy all of the eligibility conditions will be considered ineligible.
This fellowship program is not proposed for students (including Health Professionals) to obtain a degree.
For a list of qualified health professions, please see CIHR’s webpage.
Citizenship and location of host institution
Canadian nationals, permanent residents of Canada and foreign nationals are qualified to apply, given that they meet the following criteria:
- Candidates who are not Canadian nationals or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship award at a Canadian institution.
- Candidates who are Canadian nationals or permanent residents of Canada and who got their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional qualification from an international university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship award at a Canadian institution.
- Candidates who are Canadian nationals or permanent residents of Canada and who got their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional program from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship award at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
Eligibility window for degree completion
Candidates to the 2021-22 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships have to fulfill or have fulfilled all degree criteria for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree program:
- between September 15, 2018 and Sept. 30, 2022 (inclusively), and
- before the start date of their award.
Host institution eligibility
Institutions qualified to host a Banting postdoctoral researcher comprise Canadian and foreign schools, allied research hospitals, colleges and not-for-profit establishments with a strong research obligation and capacity.
Canadian governments (provincial, federal, municipal) and all for-profit establishments are not qualified to take part as host institutions.
Questions concerning institutional eligibility must be directed to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat well before the submission closing date.
How to Apply for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
Applications have to be prepared and submitted by candidates. It is the candidate’s responsibility to make sure that the application is complete. This entails making sure that all host institution credentials and referee evaluations have been submitted.
Candidates must read the Selection committee guide prior to starting their application. This guide itemizes the three assessment conditions and has useful details on how the conditions are assessed. Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships selection panels are multidisciplinary, and applications must therefore be written with a non-specialist research spectators in mind.
You have to also review the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion page before starting the preparation of an application.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships is distinctive in its emphasis on the synergy between:
- the candidate – their individual merit and prospect to launch a successful research-focused career; and
- the host institution – their devotion to the research program and alignment with the institution’s planned priorities
A candidate to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program has to complete their application in full collaboration with the intended host institution.
- 22 September 2021 (20:00 EDT)
For More Information: Visit the Official Webpage
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Canada scholarships here