Top Colleges for Cinematography in 2022
Obtaining a degree in cinematography helps you to prepare for careers in filmmaking, production, scriptwriting, and directing. Various institutions offer cinematography at the undergraduate and post-graduate levels.
As an option, you can choose to finish a one or two-year diploma in a film academy or institute. Therefore, our article on the top colleges for cinematography is to help you to make an informed decision on what school to attend to make the most of your calling.
Pursue a Career in Cinematography
There are different reasons you would choose to pursue a career in cinematography. Studying cinematography permits you to generate a diverse range of skills that you can use in a variety of areas.
It provides you with movable abilities such as project management, excellent communication, leadership, time management, problem-solving and analytical skills, etc.
Other motives you may choose to study it include:
- Witnessing your ideas come to life: Nothing beats creating something that everyone can enjoy. You’ll never run out of concepts to keep your vision alive with so many filters, camera angles, colors, etc.
- Beautiful career chances: Studying cinematography could open you up to endless and great career opportunities.
- Transferable skills: A degree in filmmaking can help you build diverse skills that will come in convenience if you switch to a new career path.
A Cinematography Degree
There is an oversupply of things you can do with a degree in cinematography coming from one of the top colleges. There is no need to what you can become in this field. See the list below:
- Assistant camera operators
- Assistant editors
- Cue selectors
- Electronic news-gathering camera operators
- Electronic news-gathering editors
- Film editors
- Motion picture camera operators
- Movie editors
- Movie shot camera operators
- News camera operators
- News video editors
Income of a Cinematographer
Your take-home as a cinematographer relies on your level of experience, where you live and your degree earned. However, according to PayScale, the moderate salary of a cinematographer is between $58,544 to $65,000.
List of Some Top Colleges for Cinematography:
- USC School of Cinematic Arts: Most of Hollywood’s famous filmmakers got their start at the University of Southern California’s School of Cinematic Arts. This school receives millions of dollars from people and offers world-class media facilities including an IMAX theater, a research lab, and making the most outstanding films in Los Angeles. VISIT SCHOOL
- American Film Institute: AFI is about the most famous film school in Los Angeles if not the whole United States. During your time at this institute, you will receive advice from industry heavyweights and make up personal films. VISIT SCHOOL
- University of California, Los Angeles: If you want to get a wide understanding of the industry, this is the place to go. It’s not uncommon for students to be undecided about the industry subject they wish to pursue. VISIT SCHOOL
- California Institute of the Arts: is known for producing top-notch animators and even if animation isn’t your thing, you can still consider attending this school.
- Columbia University: Alumni of the M.F.A. The program has won accolades at festivals including Sundance, Cannes, the Academy Awards, Venice, and Berlin. It’s a prestigious institution that draws students from all over the globe. The school’s New York location is also perfect for filmmaking, thanks to its closeness to a wealth of talent and access to contemporary films being produced around the globe. VISIT SCHOOL
- Chapman University: is yet another hands-on school where students will learn through experience. The more time you commit to anything, the better you will become. And, while the approach is important, it is no substitute for hours spent with a camera in your hands, learning by trial and error. Chapman University provides you with up-to-date tools and excellent mentors; the rest is up to you. The university also offers great, recently upgraded sound stages and production studios, as well as its production firm, which permits students to have a closer look at real-world happenings. VISIT SCHOOL
Find more articles on Student Resources here