Confucius Institute Scholarships for International Students in China 2022/2023
You want to further your education in China. Good news! Confucius Institute Scholarships is currently ongoing application. These scholarship is a fully funded one for international students. Confucius Institute Scholarships is offered to study Chinese language and culture in over 150 Chinese Universities.
These scholarships are very famous among students from all over the globe. Confucius Institute is a government entity whose aim is to improve knowledge of the Chinese language and culture throughout the world. Confucius Institute Scholarships offer doctoral studies, research stays and participation in international conferences, Chinese language and culture courses.
Worth of Confucius Institute Scholarships for International Students
- The scholarship covers tuition and lodging fees (in a university residence, in a room shared with another person), basic medical insurance and a monthly allowance for personal expenses, divided as follows:
2,500 Yuan per month for BTCSOL students or Chinese language and culture course (about 350 USD / month), 3,000 Yuan per month for MTCSOL students (equivalent to about 420 USD / month).
- The possibility of scholarship holders living outside campus (rejecting accommodation in the university residence) has recently been considered. However in these case, the Confucius Institute offers 700 Yuan per month (in addition to the monthly allowance) to support rental expenses.
Eligibility for Confucius Institute Scholarships for International Students
- Candidate must not have a Chinese nationality and must enjoy good health. If you are going to study for a period longer than six months, you will need to prove that you are in good physical and mental condition to process your residence permit in China. Hence, you will have to deliver, once at your destination university (it is not a required document during the application period), a duly completed copy of the official Chinese medical form or Foreigner Physical Examination Form.
- To be qualified for these scholarship, candidates must be between the ages of 16 and 35 but it is extended up to 45 years for people who show that they are working as Chinese teachers at the time of applying for the scholarship. However, candidates for undergraduate scholarships cannot be more than 20 years of age.
- To be eligible, it is very important to have a degree of Chinese language level (written and oral HSK and, in some cases, BCT and oral BCT are also accepted). To know the complete language requirements, click here.
- You need a letter of recommendation in the case of scholarship candidates who want to study a Chinese course or to study BTCSOL, and two in the case of MTCSOL scholarship candidates. The letters must also be signed by the in charge person of the Confucius Institute through which you apply for the scholarship. However, in the case of the MTCSOL scholarship, those candidates who show that they have a job as Chinese Language professors after completing the master’s degree studies in China will be preferred.
How to Apply for Confucius Institute Scholarships for International Students
- If you are already a student of the Confucius Institute (ideal to apply for this scholarship), contact the in charge person of the scholarships. The application has to be made online in the official page of the Confucius Institute scholarships (you need to have all the documents scanned, including your passport and a passport size photo).
- Then each candidate must submit all the required paper documents (preferably certified copies, since they will not be returned) to apply for these scholarship. The in charge person of the scholarships will be responsible for sending them by post to the headquarters of Hanban (central offices of the Confucius Institute in China). Please note that if you are not a student of the Confucius Institute, you can only apply online and submit the documents to the nearest Confucius Institute, to a Chinese embassy or consulate in your country, or to some exam centers or educational institutions in your country that are linked with Hanban.
- The final result of the scholarship students can be found on the official page of the Confucius Institute scholarships at the beginning of January (if you start in March).
- The required documents to process the visa are sent by postal mail within 15 days after the publication of the result. At this point of the steps I suggest you should be patient since you may have to wait more than a month to receive the letter.
Please note that during the online application process, you will be required to write a short motivation letter stating your reasons and expectations before the scholarship (about 300 words).
Application Deadline for Confucius Institute Scholarships for International Students
The application deadline for the ongoing scholarship is November 10 2021.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other China scholarships here