Equity and Merit Scholarships at University of Manchester in UK 2021
The University of Manchester is taking applications for the Equity and Merit Scholarships for foreign Masters scholars in the United Kingdom for the 2021/22 school year.
Equity and Merit Scholarships are for educationally exceptional students who have the prospect to make a significant addition to sustainable development in their home nations. The awards are aimed at those who cannot afford to study in Manchester without a scholarship award as UoM is devoted to a policy of equal opportunity and all applications are assessed on their merit. It especially encourages women to apply.
There are 30 scholarship awards (20 for full-time programs and 10 for online programs) available every year for a broad range of courses in environment, engineering, development, health sciences, education, textiles and law.
Worth of Equity and Merit Scholarships at University of Manchester
UoM provides two types of scholarship awards:
- Full-time, on-campus master’s (one-year duration)
- Part-time, distance learning master’s (three to five years’ duration)
- The scholarship awards provide full tuition fees, and for scholars who will be studying in Manchester, the award entails return international airfares, living costs, and visas.
Eligibility for Equity and Merit Scholarships at University of Manchester
The master’s scholarship awards are targeted at talented candidates, particularly from disadvantaged backgrounds. To be eligible to apply for Equity and Merit Scholarships, you have to:
- be a resident national of Ethiopia, Rwanda, Malawi, Uganda, Tanzania, or Zimbabwe, and have not in the past studied outside Africa (study of six months or less does not count);
- have a minimum of two years of professional experience related to your selected field of study (unpaid internships or voluntary work not included);
- a bachelor’s degree (you should have graduated prior to September 2020) with an excellent grade. The awards are for educationally exceptional students and usually, this implies that you are in the top 10% of your class;
- be devoted to going back home and able to display the potential to make a positive influence on the future of your home nation;
- have a clear idea of how schooling with Manchester will be of advantage to both your career and the broader community.
All candidates will need to display competency in the English language. You will require one of the following to be qualified for the scholarship award:
- English grade of 4 in Uganda Certificate of Education
- English grade of C in Tanzanian Certificate of Secondary Education
- English grade of C in Zimbabwe General Certificate of Education
- English grade of 6 in Malawi School Certificate of Education
- IELTS Academic
- TOEFL iBT
How to Apply for Equity and Merit Scholarships at University of Manchester
To apply you will need:
- degree certificates and transcripts displaying subjects taken and grades attained;
- proof of your English language skills as indicated above;
- two up-to-date signed references. It is compulsory to have a minimum of one academic reference to help them determine your ability to finish a master’s at the University of Manchester. Recommendations have be on letter-headed paper and addressed to ‘Equity and Merit Scholarships at The University of Manchester. They do not have to be sent in confidence and there is no fixed format.
English Language Requirements
You do not have to submit an IELTS or TOFEL test result when you apply for the scholarship award. However, if you are shortlisted for an interview, then you will have to take an approved English test.
Each master’s program on the scholarship award list has its own criteria in terms of English test scores. Please refer to the course profiles for additional information.
In most situations, you will need at least an IELTS score of 6.5 (with no sub-test less than 5.5) or TOEFL 90 (with no sub-test less than 22) to be granted a scholarship.
They do not grant any exceptions to these language criteria to candidates who have studied in English and they don’t accept a certificate of English language adeptness from your university.
Timeline for applications for 2021/22 scholarships
|1–31 August 2021||Open for applications|
|November 2021–May 2022||Review period|
|June 2022||Results announced|
|September 2022||Start of the academic year|
Applications are available from August 31, 2021.
Visit here for more information and to apply
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other UK scholarships here