Every year, the Swiss Confederation awards promote international exchange and research cooperation for Excellence Scholarships for Swiss Government between Switzerland and over 180 other countries. Beneficiaries are always selected by the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS).
The Excellence Scholarships for Swiss Government aim at young researchers from abroad who have completed a master’s degree or Ph.D. while holding a bachelor’s degree. Candidates must note that the Excellence Scholarships for Swiss Government are fully funded and covers monthly stipend payments, full tuition fees, room, other student expenses and health insurance.
Types of Excellence Scholarships for Swiss Government
- Art scholarships are open to only art students who intend to pursue an initial master’s degree in Switzerland. It is also awarded for study at any Swiss university or conservatory of the arts and available to students from a limited number of countries only.
- The Research scholarship is accessible to post-graduate researchers in any discipline who hold a master’s degree as a minimum and have plans to come to Switzerland to pursue research or further their studies at the doctoral or post-doctoral level. The scholarships are awarded for research/study at all universities of applied sciences, Swiss cantonal universities, and the two federal institutes of technology.
Worth of Excellence Scholarships for Swiss Government
The Excellence Scholarships for Swiss Government covers the following for all international students:
- This scholarships covers sponsorship for Monthly Stipend (CHF 1,920).
- The Excellence Scholarship for Swiss Government covers full Tuition Fees Waiver.
- Free Accommodation (CHF 300 housing allowance)
- Sponsored Research Fund
- Free Airfare Tickets
- Housing Allowance Disbursements
- Paid Health Insurance
Eligibility for Excellence Scholarships for Swiss Government
- Candidates who have been in Switzerland for over a year at the beginning of the scholarship in September are not eligible for the Scholarship.
- To be qualified for Excellence Scholarships for Swiss Government, each candidate must provide a letter from an academic host professor (including her/his short CV) at the chosen Swiss university confirming why she/he wants to supervise and support the research. Without this support, the application will be rejected.
- Candidates must also have a research proposal including a timeframe. This is the highlight of the application.
- To be qualified for the Excellence Scholarships for Swiss Government, candidate must devote all required attention to it.
- Each candidate must be in command of the necessary language skills needed for the research/studies.
- Candidates who have already gained from an Excellence Scholarships for Swiss Government are not qualified to apply for a second scholarship.
How to Apply for Excellence Scholarships for Swiss Government
Applicants are required to send the below listed documents to their local Swiss country Embassies before their country-specific deadlines. You can also check the country specific Excellence Scholarship application and deadline information from the links we made available at the end of this article.
Here are the list of Documents needed to Apply for Excellence Scholarships for Swiss Government:
- A full Curriculum Vitae with list of awards, academic publications, etc.
- You need a motivation letter (max. 2 pages) to apply for the Excellence Scholarships for Swiss Government.
- A copy of the letter from an academic host professor which includes his/her short CV at the chosen Swiss university confirming why she/he wants to support and supervise the research.
- Candidates need two confidential letters of recommendation from two different professors in his/her field (use only the FCS reference form – originals in sealed envelopes only for the 1st set). No copies of 2nd set.
- A short Curriculum Vitae of the academic mentor at the home institution.
- Applicants also need photocopies of certificates and grade sheets from previously attended universities/colleges and diplomas with grades, starting with the most recent. If not in English, German, French, or Italian with certified translations in English. Do not submit the original certificates.
- Candidates need a signed medical certificate. Remember to use only the FCS health certificate form.
- Two copies of the candidate’s passport (main page with personal data). Dual nationals add copies of both passports. However, candidates already in Switzerland during the application procedure add a copy of the residence permit for Switzerland.
The Excellence Scholarships for Swiss Government for the academic year 2022 is open for applications for all international students. However, the deadline to submit the Excellence Scholarships for Swiss Government application is December 1, 2021. It is also a huge chance to avail in order to study for free in Switzerland.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Switzerland scholarships here