Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program in USA 2021
The Public Affairs Division of the U.S. Embassy Abuja requests for applications for the Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program from qualified Nigerians with a desire to teach Hausa or Yoruba languages and cultures to American scholars in U.S. universities and colleges in 2021.
The Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program is structured to offer young foreign teachers a chance to teach Yoruba language and culture to American scholars in tertiary institutions and colleges. The program also affords an opportunity for candidates to refine their teaching aptitudes, increase their English language adeptness and extend their knowledge of the cultures and traditions of the United States by taking part in non-degree education while reinforcing the instruction of foreign languages at U.S. colleges and universities.
Becoming a part of the program carries with it a huge responsibility. Together with their studies, candidates teach language classes, oversee language labs and lead language table dialogues. They may also function as resource individuals in conversation cohorts, cultural representatives, assistants in language laboratories, coordinators of extra-curricular undertakings, guest speakers in civilization programs, head of language clubs, houses, tables and so on.
Worth of Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program
- The award provides the recipient’s round trip airfare to the U.S., a settling-in stipend, monthly allowance, housing stipend, health insurance, and a tuition scholarship award for their coursework.
- Provisions will be made for candidates to be present at a Fulbright FLTA Summer Orientation in the United States before beginning their program.
- During the Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program, fellows are also asked to take part in special Fulbright enrichment seminar and conference for professional growth and networking opportunity.
Eligibility for Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program
To be qualified for this program:
- Candidates have to be nationals or citizens of Nigeria, or permanent residents possessing a valid passport provided by the government of Nigeria. He or she has to be living in the nation at the time of application
- Candidates have to be graduates who have obtained their bachelor degree programs in English language, Linguistics, Education, Yoruba, Hausa and Languages
- Candidates are required to be teachers of English Language or Yoruba or Hausa in Nigerian high schools, colleges or tertiary institutions. Proven years of teaching experience are compulsory.
- Candidates are required to have the endorsement of their employer
- Candidates are required to have an exceptional academic record and high level of English adeptness as proven by a minimum score of 90 in the Internet-Based TOEFL test.
- Candidates are required to have a minimum of a credit in Yoruba language in WAEC/NECO
- Candidates must have an in-depth knowledge of Yoruba or Hausa culture and present events in Nigeria. They are required to have sincere interest in teaching Hausa or Yoruba language and culture to scholars in the U.S.
- Candidates should have leadership skills and the ability to inspire students in an unequivocal manner
- Candidates should clearly display maturity, creativity, dependability, professionalism, flexibility, and a readiness to learn
- Candidates should be willing to become a cultural ambassador interested in meeting people and becoming part of community events and campus undertakings
- Candidates should have great motivation and a serious devotion to finishing the program as scheduled and to going back home
- The Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program seeks candidates that have grown a sense of personal integrity and are critical thinkers. Candidates that are discovered to have plagiarized in their application will be disqualified
How to Apply for Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program
- Candidates should sign in on the website, put in an e-mail address and create a password. Please don’t forget this password because it will be used all through the application procedure.
- Candidates are strongly implored to read the instructions for the application carefully.
- All candidates are required to fill out the application forms wholly and attach their supporting credentials online (3 reference letters, CV, academic transcripts from every post-secondary institution attended and writing samples.
- Essays should touch on the program objectives and comprise future plans of teaching English language in Nigeria.
Application ends on June 1, 2021
Visit here for more information and to apply
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other USA scholarships here