Hamburg University of Applied Sciences is now accepting applications for its partially funded HAW Hamburg Excellence Scholarship.
About Hamburg University of Applied Sciences and Scholarship
In Hamburg, Germany, there is a higher education and applied research institution known as the Hamburg University of Applied Sciences (German: Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften Hamburg). The Hamburg University of Applied Sciences, formerly known as Fachhochschule Hamburg, was established in 1970. The HAW is the fourth-largest applied sciences university in Germany and the second-largest university in Hamburg in terms of student enrollment, with a total enrollment of 16,879.
In 1970, the Fachhochschule Hamburg—now known as the Hamburg University of Applied Sciences—was established. To create a new type of higher education, four engineering schools and six vocational schools were combined. With degree programs that incorporated industrial placements, lab work, and practice-related projects, the emphasis was on the application of knowledge.
Outstanding international students in their third semester of a bachelor’s degree or second semester of a master’s degree are eligible for scholarships from HAW Hamburg. The City of Hamburg is responsible for funding these scholarships.
Details about the HAW Hamburg Excellence Scholarship at Hamburg University of Applied Sciences:
Scholarship Sponsor: City of Hamburg
Scholarship Value: At least €1,800
Number of awards: N/A
Study level: Bachelor
Host Institution(s): Hamburg University of Applied Sciences, Germany
HAW Hamburg Excellence Scholarship – Eligibility Criteria
Applicants are advised to meet the following conditions to be eligible for the HAW Hamburg Excellence Scholarship at Hamburg University of Applied Sciences:
- International students of all nationalities are eligible for this scholarship.
- You successfully finished preparatory coursework at a German Studienkolleg or you acquired your higher education admission qualification overseas.
- You are still within the general rule study period (generelle Regelstudienzeit) of your degree program and have completed at least two semesters (for bachelor’s students) or one semester (for master’s students) at HAW Hamburg.
- You do not get any government money, including BAföG.
- Your grade point average is at least 2.2.
Two professors from your degree course must provide letters of recommendation for you if this is your first time applying for an Excellence scholarship. Master’s students who previously obtained an excellence scholarship for their undergraduate studies must also submit two recent letters of recommendation. All other students who have previously sent in two letters are exempt from doing so. Each application must include the following paperwork:
- CV, maximum 2 pages
- Enrollment confirmation from myHAW
- Current transcript from myHAW with average grade and credit points earned information
- The International Office will request the average grade and credit points from the FSB after the application deadline for students whose average grade and credit points are not listed on their transcript (this currently applies to all degree courses in the Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science, except Automotive Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering).
- A copy of your residency permit (if you’re a non-EU citizen) or your passport or other government-issued identification (if you’re an EU citizen)
- Financial circumstances form
- Bank account information form
Application Process for HAW Hamburg Excellence Scholarship
When you have acquired all the required paperwork, please upload it to the Application portal (Mobility Online) before the deadline. Give yourself ample time, please. Within four weeks following the deadline, the school will let you know how your application fared.
Please take note that late applications will not be accepted.
T +49.40.428 75-9183
In-person office hours:
2nd floor/room 232
Thursdays: 2:00–5:00 pm or by appointment
Berliner Tor Campus
Stiftstr. 69 / Gebäude (Building) G
You can also visit the official website for further details.
The Application Deadline is: 30 September 2023
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Germany scholarships here.