The Institute of Humane Studies at George Mason University in the United States is providing the Hayek Fund for Scholars to PhD candidates for the 2021/2022 academic session.
The Hayek Fund for Scholars is structured to assist scholars and faculty interested in progressing the ideas of liberty within the social sciences and humanities fields by funding a broad range of research and career advancing undertakings. From paying application fees for PhD programs and seminar presentation travel to providing the purchase of important data sets, this unique fund provides an extensive range of both research and teaching related costs.
All scholars currently involved in either research or teaching within the social sciences or humanities at a recognized college or university can put in for funding. The model candidate is excited to pursue or continue a career in the academic world and add to the classical liberal tradition via their scholarship award.
Worth of Hayek Fund for Scholars
Granted on a rolling basis, the Hayek Fund for Scholars can assist in paying for undertakings including, but not restricted to:
- Costs related to remote/online teaching and academic collaboration sustained as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, like purchase of books or online resources to assist teaching and research
- Travel for paper seminars or job interviews at academic workshops
- Submission fees for unpublished documents and academic articles
- Travel for archival research
- Purchase of data sets
- Involvement in seminars, mock job interviews, and peer appraisals
- Cooperative research projects or employing a research assistant
- Facilitation of thought-provoking reading groups and book clubs with students
- Refund of application fees for PhD programs
- Scholars are advised to submit applications for other expenses not listed here.
- The highest amount per single scholarship award from the Hayek Fund for Scholars is $5,000. Re-applicants cannot obtain more than $10,000 in funding in an academic session.
Eligibility for Hayek Fund for Scholars
- The application procedure is available to any candidate or faculty member at any accredited college or university, irrespective of nationality.
- However, candidates from the social sciences and humanities will be afforded preference and candidates operating within the hard sciences are typically not accepted.
- IHS suggests that you submit your application online minimum of four weeks before the commencement of your activity to allow the review committee ample time to deliberate on your application and inform you accordingly.
How to Apply for Hayek Fund for Scholars
The application is available to any candidate or faculty member at any recognised college or university, irrespective of nationality. However, candidates from the social sciences and humanities will be afforded preference, and candidates operating within the hard sciences are generally not considered. You have to submit your application online minimum of four weeks before the commencement of your activity to allow the review committee ample time to deliberate on your application. They do not grant funding retroactively.
Your finished application for Hayek Fund for Scholars has to comprise the following:
- Filled out online application form (see below)
- CV or resume
- Proposed budget
- Essay of 300 words or less explaining your proposed project or doings and how it will progress your career
- Essay of 300 words or less describing how the proposed project will progress the conversation or study of classical liberal ideas
- Extra documentation, like a relevant paper or thesis to complement the application, are not compulsory but can be added in the application
If you have more than one project, they encourage separate applications for each project. A competitive application usually does not comprise more than one separate or distinct project.
Applications are currently ongoing. Candidates will be informed of the committee’s decision within two weeks of submission. Awards will be disbursed after the beneficiary submits appropriate credentials for their project.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other USA scholarships here