LAWA Fellowship Program at Georgetown University in USA 2022
Georgetown University Law Center welcomes applications for the Leadership and Advocacy for Women in Africa – LAWA Fellowship Program granted to African scholars to enrol in LLM program at the school for the academic session 2022-2023.
The Leadership and Advocacy for Women in Africa – LAWA Fellowship Program was created in 1993 at the Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, DC, to train women’s human rights attorneys from Africa who are devoted to going back home to their nations to improve the status of women and girls all through their careers.
The objectives of the U.S. and LAWA Fellowship Program are multi-layered – to improve the rights and welfare of women and their families via legal backing, outreach, research, and education; to enable public interest establishments to gain from skilled legal help.
Candidates are required to possess strong English language skills both written and oral. Language issues have been the main barrier to success for LAWA Fellows. Fellowship programs are obtainable for pursuing master (LLM) program in the discipline of law.
Worth of LAWA Fellowship Program
- The LAWA Fellowship Program offers the tuition fees for the Foundations of American Law and Legal Education program (a U.S. $2,200 benefit) and for the LL.M. degree program (a U.S. $58,500 benefit) at the Georgetown University Law Center, along with professional development training.
Eligibility for LAWA Fellowship Program at Georgetown University
- Applicants who are granted admission to the LAWA Program have to be prepared to provide the costs of all additional expenditures (like their visas, housing, travel, food, utilities, health insurance, clothing, books, etc.), and have to be able to prove to the U.S. Embassy for visa reasons that they possess the funds enough to cover those costs (approximately $28,000).
- Candidate have to be a women’s human rights attorney from Africa to be given consideration. They have to possess an LL.B. or another law degree. Preference is afforded to those who are presently residing and working in Africa and do not prior to now have a Masters’ Degree.
- The most eligible candidates tend to be about five to ten years out of law school. Other candidates with less experience may be given consideration and admitted into the LAWA Program. Applicants with no prior work experience and are putting in directly from an LL.B. or another law school will not be given consideration.
- Men who are devoted to women’s rights are very much encouraged to submit an application.
- The LAWA Program expects applicants to be proficient in using computers for drafting papers and carrying out research. Applicants are very much encouraged to pick up basic computer skills prior to arrival so as to make this transition easier. At the very least, applicants should work to increase their typing speed prior to commencing the program.
- Nationality: Women candidates from any African nation are qualified to apply for this fellowship program.
- Because of the intensity of the LAWA Program and academic training, LAWA Fellows are not allowed to work all through the academic part of the program. They have to also agree that they will go back home after the LAWA Fellowship program and continue to advance women’s human rights in their nations all through their careers.
How to Apply for LAWA Fellowship Program at Georgetown University
Candidates should submit completed application through email. There is no requirement to put in separately to Georgetown. Please hand in all of the following to apply
- Fill out the Application Form, comprising all three essay questions.
- Current Resume or CV
- Two Letters of Recommendation (reference letters) from individuals who are well conversant with you, your devotion to progressing women’s human rights in your nation, your legal aptitude, and your work. No less than one reference should be a person who is ready to help you in a professional manner after your return to your nation. Recommendation letters must make explicit reference to your skills and knowledge. Please do not hand in references that only corroborate your good character.
- Official Law School Transcript
Applications are due on Friday, January 22nd, 2022.
Visit here for more details and to apply
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other USA scholarships here