Applications are welcomed from suitably qualified candidates for the McDonald Fellowship Programme in 2021.
The 2021 McDonald Fellowship program requirements for candidates have been revised. Due to travel limitations, they are considering alternate ways to execute research projects, enabling flexibility around how the McDonald Fellowship Program is spent, and also when and where the project would be implemented.
They encourage potential candidates to think resourcefully together with their proposed hosts about possible solutions.
A project may be:
- in a research institution/hospital overseas if travel allows (as in past years)
- in a research institution/hospital in your home nation
- a virtual project, either in full or in part with host institution mentoring*
*virtual projects are only acceptable if the candidate and host are able to prove how to get sufficient mentorship all through the project period.
Projects are only approved if risk of travel is not high; the project can be implemented safely with minimal risk to the candidate; there are adequate resources and mentoring to allow the proposed project to happen; and the project proves sufficient value to the candidate.
Eligibility for McDonald Fellowship Programme
All candidates must:
- Be educated to postgraduate level (minimum of MSc, preferably PhD/MD) in an area applicable to multiple sclerosis
- Be nationals of a low- or middle-income nation (all nations with a low, lower middle or upper middle income as described by the World Bank)*
- Concentrate their research in an area pertinent to multiple sclerosis
Applicants have to also be in one of the following situations:
- Working or schooling in a low- or middle-income nation (all nations with a low, lower middle or upper middle income as described by the World Bank) at the time of nomination
- Working or schooling in another nation on a project which began within the six months before nomination
- Studying in another nation on a project backed by an MS International Federation grant
Applicants are required to go back to their own nations at the end of the study period where they will add to advancing care and research in MS.
Application forms will be amended to comprise a question asking the candidate to write a plan for how to carry out the work or a part of the work if they are not able to travel.
The particular Terms and Conditions of the Awards are being prepared and will be conveyed as soon as they have been finalised.
The McDonald Fellowship award is conditional on starting no later than the end of 2021.
The McDonald Fellowship programs empowers early career multiple sclerosis researchers from low- and middle-income nations to work in a research institution outside of their own nation. *For 2021 they are open to applications for virtual or domestic projects to bypass the travel restrictions enforced by COVID-19. During the visit or virtual project, candidates either gain know-how or execute parts of joint research projects.
How to Apply for McDonald Fellowship Programme
- Fill out all sections of the online application form
- The Host is required to offer a supporting statement at the end of the application*
- Provide names and contact information of 3 referees, with the candidate’s current supervisor or employer
- Ask referees to submit reference letters to [email protected] before the closing date
*The host supporting statement is added once the candidate has submitted their application. The proposed host will then be sent an email with instructions to complete the supporting statement in the application form in text only. This has to be done before the closing date.
The application closing date, with the online form, reference letters, and supporting statement from the host, is June 30, 2021.
You have to submit your application with enough time for the proposed host to go through your application and offer a supporting statement. It is suggested to give a minimum of two weeks for your host to finish this. Equally, you should ask your referees to forward a reference letter to [email protected] before the closing date. Applications will not be considered if host statement or references are not gotten prior to 30 June.
- Deadline of application: 30 June
- Deadline of Host Supporting Statement: 30 June
- Deadline of References: 30 June\
Application Deadline: 30 June 2021
For Additional Information: Visit the Official Webpage
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here