Megatrends Afrika Fellowships in Germany for 2022/2023
Megatrends Afrika Fellowships: Implications and Options for German and International Policy, new research and advisory project in collaboration between the German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP) in Berlin, the German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) in Bonn and the Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), is awarding three fellowships to post-doctoral researchers from African countries working on Africa-related issues (Ph.D. completion in 2017 or later).
About Megatrends Afrika
The conference concentrates on the newly published ‘Megatrends in Africa Report’ that has recognized 6 megatrends: climate change, population growth, migration, urbanization, demography process, and technology development that Africa is facing.
They can create opportunities but also set several challenges in the future.
Benefits of Megatrends Afrika Fellowships
Megatrends Afrika Fellowships will be granted for a period of up to three (3) months between September 1st and December 31st, 2022. However, for the duration of the fellowship, fellows are expected to live in the city of the respective institute in Berlin, Bonn, or Kiel. Fellows will receive a monthly grant of € 2,800 as well as an economy fare return trip between the fellow’s place of residence and Germany.
Eligibility for Megatrends Afrika Fellowships
The Megatrends Afrika Fellowships are open to post-doctoral researchers from African countries working on Africa-related issues (Ph.D. completion in 2017 or later). Selection will be based on the research proposals submitted by the candidates. We are in particular interested in research proposals on the following topics
Conflicts, Statehood, and Actors of Violence in Africa:
- The relationship between climate change and/or resource management and conflict
- The changing nature of armed conflict, incl. new technologies and effect operations; remote warfare and warfare in urban settings; growths in security sector assistance/ reform
- The significance of regional ad hoc coalitions or organizations in conflict management
Megatrends and Political Authority in Africa:
- The connection between digitalization, political participation, and democracy/ autocracy
- The reshaping of politics through demographic change, and youth movements
- The effect of urban and increasingly digital middle classes on economies and politics
- The relation between climate change or migration and political authority
External Actors and their Influence on Politics, Societies, and Economies in Africa
- African views on China’s economic engagement
- External actors in Africa such as India, Russia, Turkey, or the UAE
How to Apply for Megatrends Afrika Fellowships
All applications for Megatrends Afrika Fellowships must be submitted as a single PDF document and must contain the following documents in English:
- A cover letter (one page);
- A CV incl. a list of academic publications; and a sample of 2 pieces of recently published research papers;
- Copies of appropriate academic transcripts and/or diplomas (no translations needed);
- A written concept note containing the description of the candidate’s project (not to surpass two (2) pages or 1000 words);
- This idea note must include:
- A discussion of the project/research topic, relevant project objectives, and an explanation of the academic and policy relevance of the project;
- An overview of the theoretical and methodological strategies the fellow seeks to apply.
For more information, click here.
The Application Deadline for the Scholarship is June 22, 2022
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Germany scholarships here