MRes PhD Studentships at University of Exeter in UK 2021
The University of Exeter in The UK offers the Medical Research Council Centre for Medical Mycology 1+3 MRes PhD studentships in the 2021/2022 academic session.
The MRC Centre for Medical Mycology (MRC CMM) is a foremost research centre at the University of Exeter, covering both the College of Medicine and Health (CMH) and the College of Life and Environmental Sciences (CLES) that is helping to tackle the major global threats to human health caused by fungal diseases. The MRC CMM hosts a cross-disciplinary group of globally celebrated scientists who study both the host immune response and the fungal pathogen, and is one of the biggest such Centres globally. The mission of the Centre is to facilitate ground-breaking cross-disciplinary research to significantly advance their understanding of life-threatening fungal infections. These advancements will have an impact on patient lives through enhanced prevention, diagnosis and treatment of fungal illnesses in the future.
These four-year MRes PhD Studentships start with a 1-year Master of Research (MRes) degree that provides a solid theoretical and practical foundation in fungal diseases. It comprises one research project on host-pathogen relations and a second on fungal pathogen biology. On successful completion of the MRes, students then progress to their 3-year PhD, choosing their cross-disciplinary PhD project from a broad selection of peer-reviewed proposals. Students also receive additional research skills training, personal and career development opportunities, funding for travel to conferences and workshops, and support from mentors who provide independent career advice. Successful candidates will gain from their pulsating, friendly and collegiate atmosphere, and the cross-disciplinary nature of the cutting-edge science being performed in the Centre.
Worth of MRes PhD Studentships at University of Exeter
- The MRes PhD Studentships are funded by the Medical Research Council in partnership with the University of Exeter.
- They comprise a tax-free allowance, tuition fees and research expenses are provided for the four years of the program.
Eligibility for MRes PhD Studentships at University of Exeter
- Funding is available to UK and International candidates.
- Candidates for a studentship are required to have obtained, or be in the process of obtaining, a First or Upper Second Class UK Honours degree, or the equivalent qualifications gotten outside the UK, in an area relevant to the skills prerequisites of the centre.
- If English is not your first language you will need to have achieved at least 6.5 in IELTS (and no less than 6.0 in any section) by the start of the programme.
How to Apply for MRes PhD Studentships at University of Exeter
To apply for funding, please click on the ‘Apply now’ button.
During the application, you will be required to upload some documents. Please be aware that their preferred format is PDF, each file titled with your surname and the name of the document, e.g. “Smith – Cover Letter.pdf”, “Smith – CV.pdf”, “Smith – Transcript.pdf”.
- Letter of application describing your academic interests, past research experience and motives for wishing to take on the project.
- Personal statement sharing your future ambitions and how this MRes-PhD programme will enable you to achieve those ambitions
- Transcript(s) giving full details of subjects studied and grades/marks obtained. This can be a provisional transcript if you are still schooling.
- If you are not a national of a majority English-speaking country you will need to submit evidence of your current proficiency in English.
- Two References (applicants are recommended to have a third academic referee, if the two academic referees are within the same department/school).
All application documents must be submitted in English. Certified translated copies of academic qualifications must also be provided.
Deadline: The closing date for applications is midnight Monday, February 15, 2021. Interviews are expected to be held in the week commencing 1 March 2021.
Visit here for more details and to apply
Not interested in MRes PhD Studentships at University of Exeter? See other UK scholarships here