You are interested in furthering an education in USA. Good news! National Merit Scholarships is currently ongoing application at Purdue University. In this article, we will discuss more about the scholarship, its worth, eligibility and application process.
National Merit Scholarships is offered for Bachelor degree in the field of Courses offered at Purdue University. Purdue University is a public land-grant research university in West Lafayette, Indiana, and the flagship campus of the Purdue University system.
Purdue University was established in 1869 after Lafayette businessman John Purdue donated land and money to set up a college of science, technology, and agriculture in his name. The first classes were held on September 16, 1874, with six instructors and 39 students.
The main campus in West Lafayette offers over 200 majors for undergraduates, more than 69 masters and doctoral programs, and professional degrees in pharmacy, veterinary medicine, and doctor of nursing practice.
Purdue University has 18 intercollegiate sports teams and over 900 student organizations. The university is the founding member of the Big Ten Conference and it enrolls the second largest student body of any university in Indiana, as well as the ninth largest foreign student population of any university in the United States.
From 1876 to 1883, Emerson E. White the university’s president followed a strict interpretation of the Morrill Act. Rather than imitate the classical universities, White believed the university should be an “industrial college” and dedicate its resources toward providing a wide, liberal education with an emphasis on science, technology, and agriculture. White also intended not only to prepare students for industrial work, but also to prepare them to be good citizens and family members.
Part of the university president’s plan to differentiate Purdue from classical universities included a tendentious attempt to ban fraternities, which was ultimately overturned by the Indiana Supreme Court, leading to White’s resignation.
Purdue University’s engineering laboratories included testing facilities for a locomotive, and for a Corliss steam engine—one of the most logical engines of the time. By 1925, the university had the largest undergraduate engineering enrollment in the country, a status it would keep for half a century.
The university issued its first degree, a Bachelor of Science in chemistry, in 1875, and admitted its first female students that autumn.
Worth of National Merit Scholarships at Purdue University
- All successful candidates of the National Merit Scholarships will receive a scholarship value of partial funding $500 per year.
- Please note that awards are based on credentials and information presented at the time of application for admission and are non-negotiable. The value of National Merit Scholarships may be adjusted if an applicant’s overall financial aid package surpasses the standard cost of education in Purdue. The value of need-based scholarships may also be changed to prevent award packages that surpass financial need.
Eligibility for National Merit Scholarships at Purdue University
- You must be college Sponsored National Merit Finalist to be qualified for these scholarship.
- Grades in coursework that is critical to success in your intended major.
- Grades in central academic coursework and strength of your high school curriculum (in the context of courses available at your school).
- Application essay and Purdue-specific questions.
- You need a SAT or ACT score to be eligible for National Merit Scholarships.
- You also need recommendation (if provided).
- To be qualified for these scholarship, each candidate need a proof of commitment to the academic program to which he/she applied.
- A proof of leadership, service, and other achievements, activities, and awards.
- Information provided by candidate’s high school.
- Personal background and experiences.
How to Apply for National Merit Scholarships at Purdue University
For more information about the scholarship, please visit the university’s official website.
Application Deadline for National Merit Scholarships at Purdue University
The application deadline for these scholarship is December 15, 2021.
Official Website: Click here
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other USA scholarships here