Victoria University of Wellington New Zealand International Student Grant for 2022/2023
The New Zealand International Student Grant aims to support new international students presently onshore in New Zealand to study at the Victoria University of Wellington.
This grant is available for all qualified students commencing their undergraduate or postgraduate studies in 2022.
Victoria University of Wellington is a university in Wellington, New Zealand. It was founded in 1897 by the Act of Parliament and was a constituent college of the University of New Zealand.
The university is famous for its programs in law, the humanities, and some scientific disciplines, and offers a wide range of other courses. Entry to all courses in the first year is open, while entry to the second year in some programs (e.g. law, criminology, creative writing, architecture, engineering) is limited.
Victoria University of Wellington had the highest average research grade in the New Zealand Government’s Performance-Based Research Fund exercise in both 2012 and 2018, having been rated 4th in 2006 and 3rd in 2003.
Also, the university has been rated 215th in the World’s Top 500 universities by the QS World University Rankings (2020). Victoria University of Wellington (initially known as Victoria University College) was named after Queen Victoria, on the 60th anniversary of her coronation.
The initial name was Victoria University College, but on the abolishment of the University of New Zealand in 1961 Victoria or “Vic” became the Victoria University of Wellington, granting its degrees.
Its library was founded in 1899. The collections are spread over four locations: Kelburn Library, Law Library, Architecture and Design Library, and Commerce Library.
Victoria University of Wellington’s library also has a collection of digital resources and full-text material online. In addition to electronic resources, printed books, and journals, the Library obtains works in microform, sound recordings, videos, and other media constant with the university’s academic program needs.
In addition, the library holds about 1.3 million printed volumes. It provides access to 70,000 print and electronic periodical titles and 200,000 e-books. It is an official Depository Library (DL-296) of the United Nations System (DEPOLIB), one of only three in the country.
Furthermore, the J. C. Beaglehole Room is the official repository of all archival and manuscript material and provides a supervised research service for Rare Books, fine or delicate print items, and ‘last resort’ copies of university publications.
Undergraduate students are qualified to receive a NZ$10,000 New Zealand International Student Grant (equally expended over the first two years of study) and postgraduate students are qualified for a NZ$5,000 grant (for the first year of study).
Eligibility for New Zealand International Student Grant
- Candidates must be onshore in New Zealand and enrolling in a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate degree on campus at Victoria University of Wellington in Trimester 1, 2, or 3 in either 2021 or 2022.
- The New Zealand International Student Grant will only apply to new students who have not previously been enrolled at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Scholars who are currently enrolled in English for Academic Purposes (EAP) at Victoria University of Wellington or the Victoria University of Wellington Foundation Studies Programme at UP Education are not qualified for this award. Note that the New Zealand International Student Grant will apply to students who have completed other pre-degree programs.
Interview date, Process, and Venue for the Grant
- Scholars must be enrolling in a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate degree at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants must be onshore in Wellington studying in person and on campus. Students studying online are not qualified.
- Applicants must be new students.
- Graduate Certificates, Postgraduate Certificates, Ph.D. and EAP students are not qualified to apply for the New Zealand International Student Grant.
How to Apply for New Zealand International Student Grant
For further inquiries, click here.
The Application Deadline is Not Specified but it is currently ongoing.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other New Zealand scholarships here