University College London welcomes applications for Overseas Research Scholarships to entice high-quality foreign candidates to undertake research in 2021.
Around 35 Overseas Research Scholarships at University College London are obtainable each year.
Worth of Overseas Research Scholarships at University College London
- The scholarship awards comprise fee funding to provide the difference between Overseas and UK/EU tuition fees.
- UCL-ORS beneficiaries who do not have any other fee funding will obtain extra UCL funding to provide the UK/EU tuition fees for the length of the ORS award.
- The scholarship award does not provide the Additional Fee Element (AFE) of your program (if applicable), unless you are also granted a UCL GRS award.
- Scholarship awards are tenable for years 1, 2, and 3 of a full-time MPhil/PhD/EngD degree program (or years 1 to 5 of a part-time program), subject to yearly appraisal and renewal.
- Where candidates are undergoing an integrated four-year PhD program, the scholarship award will be extended to their last year of study.
- If awarded, funding starts at the beginning of the next academic year.
Eligibility for Overseas Research Scholarships at University College London
Candidates must be:
- in possession of an offer of admission to, or presently enrolled at, UCL on a full- or part-time research degree program and;
- – holding or anticipating to achieve a minimum of an upper second-class Honours UK undergraduate degree or equal qualification.
- qualified to pay tuition fees at the overseas rate (Overseas fees standing).
- Scholarship awards are granted on the basis of academic distinction and research prospect. Financial situations are not taken into consideration.
How to Apply for Overseas Research Scholarships at University College London
So as to apply for the Overseas Research Scholarships, you have to complete the following steps:
Step 1 – Apply for admission to UCL
- The following guidelines apply to prospective candidates – present students already registered on their research degrees can proceed straight to Step 2.
- You have to submit a finished application for admission onto a research degree program by the specified closing date.
- You are not required to have secured an offer of admission at UCL before you can apply for the scholarship, but you should have submitted your application for admission.
Step 2 – Hand in your scholarship application documents to your department
The compulsory documents are as follows:
- Research Scholarship award cover sheet (download the Research Scholarship award cover sheet) *Using Firefox or Internet Explorer is suggested
- CV – Please ensure your CV is recent and lists all publications, past/present prizes, awards and scholarships.
- A lay brief of your research plan, on a Word or PDF document (max. 200 words). The proposal must be written by you, not your advisor or any other member of academic department staff.
- Academic transcripts – Please make sure that every academic transcript submitted has explanation on the grading scale/range of grades possible for that degree program.
- 2 References – Reference number 1 is required to relate to your most recently concluded university program/degree (or the one you plan to conclude, if applicable) and can be the same referee who wrote a reference for your admission application. Please make use of this Reference Form for reference number 1
- Reference number 2 is required to relate to your present or planned research program/project, for which you are looking for funding. This reference has to be written by your research advisor at UCL. If you are a prospective candidate and your advisor has not yet been assigned, please get in touch with your department to verify who your UCL supervisor will be. Please make use of this Reference Form for reference number 2.
You have to apply for admission and submit the extra details to your department latest by Wednesday, January 13, 2021. Please be aware that some academic departments set their own closing dates which may be earlier than this date, so ensure you confirm with them directly.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other UK scholarships here