Research Career Re-entry Fellowships in UK 2021
Wellcome Trust in the UK is providing the Research Career Re-entry Fellowships to postdoctoral research scientists, affording them the chance to re-establish their scientific professions after an uninterrupted break from research of a minimum of two years.
Wellcome was created to improve health for everyone by assisting great ideas to flourish. They are an international charitable foundation, both politically and financially autonomous. They assist scientists and researchers to take on huge problems, fuel imaginations, and trigger debate.
Their funding supports more than 14,000 people in over 70 nations. In the next five years, they intend to spend up to £5 billion assisting thousands of inquisitive, passionate individuals all around the world explore ideas in science, medical innovation, population health, the humanities and the social sciences and public participation.
Worth of Research Career Re-entry Fellowships
They will finance the total expense of your salary for the whole period of the award.
They will provide:
- a fellowship add-on of £7,500 per year if you are:
– a non-clinical researcher
– a veterinary graduate who will be paid at a non-clinical salary rate.
- the extra employer’s additions required to cover the add-on.
- If you have to relocate to assume the post at your host establishment, you can ask for £1,000. You’ll need to justify this.
- Research expenses
- funds for applicable research retraining, e.g. for a skills or MSc program
Eligibility for Research Career Re-entry Fellowships
- You can put in for Research Career Re-entry Fellowships if you’ve had an uninterrupted career break of a minimum of two years and you want to reinstate your research career.
- They accept career interruptions taken due to family devotions, ill health and work outside of research.
- You are required to have a PhD degree and postdoctoral research experience.
- You must have begun to make significant contributions to your area of research prior to your career break, e.g. patents, publications, software development or an impact on policy.
- You should have an eligible sponsoring establishment in the United Kingdom or Republic of Ireland that will administer the fellowship program for the full length of the award.
You must have:
- a sponsor/research sponsor who’ll provide you with scientific direction, space and access to resources.
- a mentor who’ll offer you autonomous support and advice.
- Sponsors/research sponsors and mentors must possess strong track records in research and mentorship. They should consider their guidance and mentorship of you as part of a longer-term devotion to assist you go back to a career in research.
- You must give careful thought to your choice of research setting, sponsor and advisor.
How to Apply for Research Career Re-entry Fellowships
- Hand in your preliminary application: You should hand in your preliminary application via Grant Tracker.
- Assessment of preliminary applications: They’ll evaluate your eligibility, and give advice about your eligibility and the resources you’ve asked for. They will inform you of a decision within three weeks of the preliminary application closing date. If fit, they will ask you to submit a full application.
- Submit your complete application to your host establishment for approval: Fill out the complete application form on Grant Tracker. Submit it to the ‘authorised organisational approver’ at your host institution for endorsement. Ensure you leave enough time for the endorser to review and submit your application prior to the closing date. The endorser may ask you to make adjustments to your application.
- Host institution assesses your application and submits it to them: Your application has to be submitted by 17:00 (GMT/BST) on the closing date.
- External peer assessment: They will obtain written comments on your application from external professional assessors.
- Shortlisting: The Basic Science Interview Committee will review your full application. If positive, they will call you for an interview. They’ll provide you a minimum of two weeks’ notice and forward you unattributed comments from the external peer assessment.
- Interview: The Basic Science Interview Committee will carry out interviews at the Wellcome offices in London.
They give considerations to applications twice a year. They don’t take late applications.
April 2021 round
- Preliminary application closing date: April 8,2021, 17:00 BST
Click here for more details and to apply
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other UK scholarships here