Rhodes Scholarships for Zimbabwe at University of Oxford in UK 2022
The University of Oxford in the UK is taking applications from Zimbabweans for 2021/2022 Rhodes Scholarships for Zimbabwe students.
The Rhodes Scholarships is the earliest (first awarded in 1902) and maybe the most esteemed international scholarship program, enabling exceptional young people from all over the world to school at the University of Oxford.
One of the founding objectives of the Scholarship program was to recognize young leaders from all over the world who, through the pursuit of education together at Oxford, would create bonds of mutual comprehension and fellowship for the advancement of mankind. Even though the language is old-fashioned, this remains one of the founding objectives of the Scholarship: to select exceptional young people, with the prospect to lead, who will make an influence for good in the world later in life.
Worth of Rhodes Scholarships for Zimbabwe
- The Rhodes Scholarships for Zimbabwe has tenure of two years. The Rhodes Scholarships for Zimbabwe provides Oxford University (and College) fees and also a yearly stipend. For the 2021/22 academic session, the stipend will be £15,900 each year (£1,325 each month) from which scholars cover all living costs, including housing.
- Furthermore to the above, the Rhodes Trust will provide two economy class flights – to and from the United Kingdom – for the beginning and end of schooling in Oxford. On arrival in Oxford, Scholars get a settling in stipend (£225 in 2019-20). For those Scholars who move to a second program of study in Oxford, they will again receive assistance to cover the fee for visa renewal and further application for IHS. After selection for the Scholarship, the Rhodes Trust will also provide the application fee needed to apply to school at the University of Oxford.
- A number of research grants are also obtainable to Rhodes Scholars, on application, which allows Scholars to, for example, attend international workshops or carry out additional fieldwork.
Eligibility for Rhodes Scholarships for Zimbabwe
Rhodes Selection Committees are looking for young people of outstanding intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service.
The four conditions which governed the selection of Rhodes Scholars in 1902 are still the guiding conditions for the choosing of Rhodes Scholars:
- literary and scholastic attainments (academic excellence)
- energy to use one’s talents to the full (as proven by mastery in areas like sports, debate, music, theatre, dance, and artistic pursuits, especially where teamwork is involved)
- truth, courage, commitment to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, selflessness and fellowship
- moral force of character and ability to lead, and to take an interest in other people.
- Nationality/citizenship: You are required to be a national of Zimbabwe, or have been born in Zimbabwe.
- Education/Residency: You are required to have received a minimum of five years of education in Zimbabwe between the ages of 9 – 20 years.
- You must have not reached your 27th birthday (i.e. have been born after 1 October 1994) AND you have met or will meet the requirements for completion of your first degree on or after 1 October 2020*.
- Academic attainment: You should have finished (or will have finished by June / July 2022) an undergraduate degree program from a university (typically a Bachelor’s degree program) with a First or Upper Second class standard (i.e. an average score of 69%/GPA 3.7 or greater). In this regard, please note carefully the criteria for your chosen program at Oxford, where entry criteria may exceed those of the Scholarship award.
- For medical scholars and medical doctors, the age limit is prolonged by two years. This implies that candidates are required to have been born after 30 September 1993 and on or before 1 October, 2001. The intention is to:
- Avoid successful medical school applicants having to postpone taking up the Scholarship;
- Enable applicants to complete their medical internships before going to Oxford and to take up the Scholarship before completing their post-internship medical residency.
How to Apply for Rhodes Scholarships for Zimbabwe
- You can apply online for the Rhodes Scholarships for Zimbabwe from 01 June 2021 via the scholarships tab.
- In preparation for making your application, you should read carefully the general information, particularly that held on the Scholarships tab, on the Rhodes website, the Conditions of Tenure for the Rhodes Scholarship, information on other related documents and the graduate admissions pages of the University of Oxford.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend a social engagement (a reception) and a final interview. You are required to be available to attend both, in person, as no adjustments can be made on date and time, or mode, of these events. Interviews will be held in Harare in November. No candidate will be selected without an interview.
- All candidates will be notified with the outcome of their application.
You have to submit your application online, with all supporting credentials, by 23:59 Central Africa Time, August 31, 2021.
Visit here for more details and to apply
Not interested in Rhodes Scholarships for Zimbabwe at University of Oxford? See other UK scholarships here