Schwarzman Scholars Masters Scholarship for International Students in China 2022/2023
The Schwarzman Scholars Masters Scholarship will give the world’s best and brightest students the chance to evolve their leadership skills and professional networks through a one-year Master’s Degree at Tsinghua University in Beijing – one of China’s most prestigious universities.
With a $350 million endowment, Schwarzman Scholars Masters Scholarship will be the single largest philanthropic effort ever embarked in China by largely international donors. The outstanding students selected to become Schwarzman Scholars will receive a complete scholarship.
Schwarzman Scholars was motivated by Rhodes Scholarship, which was created in 1902 to promote international understanding and peace, and is also designed to meet the challenges of the 21st century and beyond. Blackstone Co-Founder Stephen A. Schwarzman personally donated $100 million to the program and is leading a fundraising campaign to raise an extra $350 million from private sources to endow the program in perpetuity. However, the $450 million endowments will support up to 200 scholars yearly from the U.S., China, and all over the world for a one-year Master’s Degree program at Tsinghua University in Beijing, one of China’s most prestigious universities and an essential base for the country’s scientific and technological research. Students chosen for this highly selective program will live in Beijing for a year of study and cultural immersion, attending lectures, traveling, and creating a better understanding of China.
Benefits of Masters Scholarship
- Semi-finalist interview expenses, such as economy class air or train travel, group meals, and one night in a hotel if needed, will be arranged and covered by the scholarship.
- Expenses for successful Schwarzman Scholars are also FULLY covered.
- The scholarship will include Tuition and fees, Room and board, Travel to and from Beijing at the beginning and end of the academic year, and An in-country study tour.
- Mandated course books and supplies, Lenovo laptop and smartphone, Health insurance, and a modest personal stipend will also be provided for each successful candidate.
Requirements for Schwarzman Scholars Masters Scholarship
- You need an undergraduate degree or first degree from an approved college or university or its equivalent. Candidates who are currently enrolled in undergraduate degree programs must be on track to complete all degree requirements before orientation starts on August 1st, 2022. Note that there are no requirements for a certain field of undergraduate study; all fields are welcome, but it will be important for candidates, regardless of undergraduate major, to articulate how participating in Schwarzman Scholars will help improve their leadership potential within their field.
- Applicants must be at least 18 but not yet 29 years of age as of 1 August 2022.
- There are no citizenship or nationality requirements.
- Scholars must also demonstrate strong English Language skills, as all teaching will be conducted in English. Note if the candidate’s native language is not English, official English proficiency test scores must be submitted with the application. Acceptable test choices are:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT)
- Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- However, this requirement is waived for scholars who graduated from an undergraduate institution where the primary language of instruction was English for a minimum of three years of the applicant’s academic program.
How to Apply for Schwarzman Scholars Masters Scholarship
There is no fee associated with applying to the Schwarzman Scholars Masters Scholarship. To apply, you will need to complete and successfully submit an online application form, which includes all required documents and essays before the deadline date.
For further details, click here.
The application deadline for the scholarship is September 20, 2022.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other China scholarships here