Sue Palminteri WildTech Reporting Fellowship in USA 2021
Do you like writing stories that cover conservation technology-related research? Mongabay Sue Palminteri WildTech Reporting Fellowship program for Writers in the United States is presently taking applications in 2021.
This program mainly entails writing stories that cover conservation technology-related research for their affiliated news website – Mongabay.com. This program gives the fellow the chance to develop their writing talents and have their news stories published on its famous website which boasts of more than two million international readers each month. This is a part-time, six-month program backed by a special fund established in the memory of Sue Palminteri.
As a WildTech Reporting Fellow, you will be producing around six news stories and six interviews on a range of conservation technology issues over a period of a six-month devotion (July-December 2021). Topics will be allocated to you by one of its editors.
In a related vein, you will work meticulously with Mongabay journalists and obtain writing instructions and feedback on their news stories prior to publication. You will also obtain a deeper comprehension of journalistic programs and procedures at Mongabay and also one-on-one training and mentorship from the publishing manager you work with.
Worth of Sue Palminteri WildTech Reporting Fellowship
The WildTech Reporting Fellow will obtain a $5,000 grant for the length of the program.
The fellow also stands to:
- Acquire publishing experience in a high-profile news channel
- Learn about journalistic programs and processes at Mongabay
- Become member of a community of devoted and skilled writers
- Receive coaching and support
- Partake in a meet and greet training session through Skype and Q&A with Mongabay personnel
- Work with different editors and receive guidance and feedback
- Develop writing skills
- Develop interviewing skills
- Resume building
- Obtain Mongabay letters of reference and personal recommendations
Eligibility for Sue Palminteri WildTech Reporting Fellowship
To be qualified for the Mongabay Sue Palminteri WildTech Reporting Fellowship for Writers, you need to be (a)/have
- Excellent communication skills
- Passionate about environmental subjects
- Positive attitude
- Coachable and open to learning
- Strong values – personally and professionally
- Problem-solving skills
- Interest in conservation technology
Please do not apply to this program if you:
- Are already a regular Mongabay contributor
- Do not speak English language, as this program is managed by their English editorial team
Applicants will be notified in late June. They ask that you do not send an email asking about the status of your application for now. If chosen, you will commence in the first month of the term (July 2021).
How to Apply for Sue Palminteri WildTech Reporting Fellowship
Candidates are needed to submit the following credentials (have these items ready before starting the application process):
- Cover letter
- Indicate why you are interested and what values & skills you can contribute to Mongabay.
- Indicate whether you have previous experience in conservation technology or related fields. If you do not have any previous experience, please explain what pushed you to apply for this program.
- Hand in a writing sample from a journal entry or blog post. If you do not have a sample you can pick one from the following three articles to complete a writing sample (600 words max.)
- Novel use of technology to solve an old problem: Assessing the population size of a burrow nesting seabird
- Can Handheld Thermal Imaging Technology Enhance Detection of Poachers in African Bushveldt?
- Adoption and effects of new light-fishing technology (LEDs) on Lake Tanganyika, East Africa
- Optional: hand in a further writing sample of your own.
Please make use of the application form to submit your materials. Applications submitted by email will not be accepted.
For more information on Sue Palminteri WildTech Reporting Fellowship, please contact Maria Salazar at email@example.com
The application closing date is May 31, 2021, 11:00 a.m. EDT (New York time).
Visit here for more details and to apply
Not interested in Sue Palminteri WildTech Reporting Fellowship? See other USA scholarships here