The University of Michigan is accepting applications for the University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars (UMAPS) program for the 2021/22 academic session. The Program brings early-career personnel from African schools to Ann Arbor, Michigan for residencies that start in late August, typically lasting up to six months.
Scholars are matched with a faculty advisor during their stay and have complete access to the University of Michigan’s resources to advance their work on a research project, an academic degree program, publications, grant proposal, or other important activity. The University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program supports the growth of the next generation of African scholars by integrating them into global academic networks, and advances U-M’s international devotion to research and teaching partnerships across diverse fields, from engineering to literature to economics.
Beginning in 2020, the University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program will host two cohorts each year (August to December, and January to May). Candidates will have the chance to specify their preference for a specific cohort during the application process.
Candidates from other nations in Africa cannot apply straight to UMAPS but need to be nominated by a University of Michigan faculty member with whom they prior to now have an established relationship.
Regrettably, ASC is not able to assist prospective applicant connect to U-M faculty, nor do they recommend reaching out to them directly.
Worth of University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program
Those granted admission to the University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program will get:
- Four to six months residency at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, matched up with a faculty advisor with complete access to the university’s resources
- Round-trip flight ticket from their home nation to Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Free accommodation, and a modest allowance to cover living, health care, and research expenses while at U-M. Important note: The UMAPS program is not able to provide accommodation for spouses and/or dependents
- Office/Laboratory space
- Chance to present research to the U-M community
Eligibility for University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program
Past beneficiaries of the UMAPS fellowship program are not qualified to apply. Preference will be afforded to candidates without extensive foreign experience outside the continent.
All applicants must:
- Be an early-career faculty member who has taught in the higher academic system for previous than ten years, presently teaching in a college or university in Africa
- Be able to display support from home institution with recommendation letter from head of department, dean, or vice chancellor
- Be able to stay in residence for five months
All applicants must:
- Fill out the online application form
- Upload a CV using the online application
- Upload a scholarly program/research plan (not to be more than five pages)
Applications from a broad range of disciplines and schools are welcome; applications that align with the center’s initiatives— ASRI, AHHI, and STEM-Africa—are encouraged
- Supply full name and contact details of the department head, dean, or vice chancellor at the candidate’s home institution who will be writing their letter of support
University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program – How to Apply
- University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program takes direct applications from faculty members of colleges or universities in Ethiopia, Ghana, South Africa, Liberia, and Uganda.
- Faculty members of colleges and universities in all other African nations can only apply to the UMAPS program after they have been nominated by a U-M faculty member with whom they have an established relationship.
The nominating faculty must:
- Fill out the online nomination form (for University of Michigan faculty only; access needs U-M login)
- Submit /upload a letter of recommend that states their readiness to function as a mentor during the length of the residency, obligate to meet regularly, and make an arrangement for an office space for the prospective participant
Note: Upon receiving the U-M faculty’s nomination form, ASC will forward the invitation to apply to the prospective candidate.
Applications will be reviewed after the deadline on October 15. Unfinished applications will not be processed. Only applications handed in through the online system will be given consideration.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other USA scholarships here