The University of Otago provides the University of Otago Entrance Scholarship award to candidates who are academically exceptional and who display high-level aptitude in their selected area of performance so as to encourage distinction in areas of performance like sport, music, culture, and arts.
The University of Otago is a research-led institution established in 1869 and situated in Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand. The university is listed among the world’s top 1% of universities and possesses a global reputation for distinction. In 2019/2020, the university was rated among the top 100 in 15 study disciplines.
University of Otago provides over 200 undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Health Science, Humanities, Business, and Science courses. In acknowledgement of the effect of coronavirus on candidates, Otago has expanded its coursework delivery options for the academic session 2021.
A selection of programs (like BA, BCom, and BACom programs, Online English Language and Foundation Year programs) will be temporarily taught online instead of campus.
University of Otago Entrance Scholarship Information:
- Host country: New Zeeland.
- Host institution: University of Otago, New Zeeland.
- Scholarship Type: Tuition award.
- Scholarship level: Undergraduate.
- Number of scholarships: Varies.
- Application deadline: Ongoing.
- The University of Otago Entrance Scholarship award value is $16,000, for the initial three years of study.
- Outstanding applicants may be offered more in the initial year.
Eligibility for University of Otago Entrance Scholarship
The University of Otago Entrance Scholarship award is available to candidates who fulfill the following conditions:
- Candidates are required to be New Zealand nationals, New Zealand permanent residents, Australian nationals or Australian permanent residents with domestic fee standing; or foreign candidates who have studied in Year 12 and have finished or are in the process of finishing Year 13 or an equivalent foundation level program at a New Zealand institution
- Candidates are required to be willing to enroll or have registered for the first time for first year (100-level papers), full-time degree-level, undergraduate program at the University of Otago.
- Candidates are required to not have studied more than 0.4 EFTs at any University or tertiary institution at degree-level or greater.
The qualifying scholarship awards that allow automatic award of the University of Otago Entrance Scholarship are listed below:
- Acting – Best Actor – SGCNZ National University of Otago Sheilah Winn Shakespeare Festival Award Ceremony.
- Athletics – Male / Female – Otago Secondary School Athlete of the Year
- Basketball – Male / Female – New Zealand Under 17 Basketball National Championships – Most Valuable Player (or equivalent).
- Debating – Best Speaker or New Zealand Debating Team Captain – New Zealand Schools’ Debating Championships.
- Hockey – Male / Female – New Zealand Hockey Under 18 National Regional Tournament – Most Valuable Player (or equivalent).
- Netball – Male / Female – New Zealand Under 17 Netball National Championships – Most Valuable Player (or equivalent).
- Rowing – Male / Female – Annual Maadi Cup Regatta – Winner of the Under 18 Pairs.
- Volleyball – Male / Female – New Zealand Secondary Schools Volleyball Championships – Most Valuable Player (or equivalent).
How to Apply for University of Otago Entrance Scholarship
Where feasible, beneficiaries of automatically granted scholarship awards listed in the section above are still implored to apply for the University of Otago Entrance Scholarship awards when they register at the University of Otago, even if they have previously secured this one. This is so they can possibly be given consideration for a scholarship award of a higher value.
However, beneficiaries will only be granted one University of Otago Entrance Scholarship award (subject to the Dux Entrance Scholarship award provisions), with an assurance of the award of the University of Otago Performance Entrance Scholarship award valued at $16,000 at the least.
Applications for the University of Otago Entrance Scholarship award are carried out via eVision. Candidates will be expected to go through the first levels of enrolment at the University of Otago to gain access to the Entrance Scholarship award online application.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other New Zealand scholarships here