Flinders University is now accepting applications for its fully-funded Flinders International Research Scholarship.
About Flinders University and Scholarship
A public research university with its headquarters in Adelaide, Flinders University has 11 sites spread across South Australia and the Northern Territory. It was established in 1966 and was given the name Flinders in honor of British sailor Matthew Flinders, who in the early 19th century explored and mapped the Australian and South Australian coastline.
The main campus of Flinders University is located in Bedford Park in Adelaide’s south, and it is surrounded by 156 acres of native bushland and gardens. Tonsley, Adelaide’s Central Business District, Renmark, Alice Springs, and Darwin are among other campuses. It belongs to the IRU Group of Innovative Research Universities. Academically, the institution was a leader in interdisciplinary education, and its faculties of medicine and the humanities have consistently placed among the top 10 in the country.
Flinders University is ranked 266 in the world in the 2021 Times Higher Education list of the best institutions in the world, falling between positions 251 and 300. In its first 2023 QS Recognition of Internationalization awards, the Quacquarelli Symonds rating organization selected Flinders University as one of just four recipients globally. According to the Australian Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching’s 2021 Graduate Outcome Survey – Longitudinal, Flinders University tops the country for postgraduate employment outcomes.
The Flinders International Research Scholarship (FIPRS) is a scholarship designed expressly to help overseas students. It pays for international tuition expenses as well as a stipend. Students from abroad who are interested are encouraged to apply.
On a competitive basis, the FIPRS is given to individuals who exhibit exceptional ability for independent research, academic excellence, academic research training, and research indicators and performance. A very small number (5 scholarships will be given in 2023) are offered each year, making it extremely competitive.
Details about Flinders International Research Scholarship:
Scholarship Sponsor: Flinders University, Australia
Scholarship Value: $28,854.00 (2022 RTP rate)
Number of Awards: 5 scholarships this year
Study Level: Postgraduate (Masters and PhD)
Host Institution(s): Flinders University, Australia
The following bonuses are included in the Flinders International Research Scholarship:
- Flinders University charges tuition for a research higher degree to overseas students.
- A living allowance (stipend) is paid per year at the rate of $28,854 (2022 rate). It is both tax-exempt and regularly indexed.
- The student may be eligible for an establishment grant of up to $1,485 (after arriving at Flinders) to help with moving expenses and flights, providing receipts are shown.
Eligibility Criteria for Flinders International Research Scholarship
The candidate must satisfy the following qualifying requirements to be considered for a Flinders International Research Scholarship:
- The applicant must be planning to begin full-time study for a higher degree by research in Australia for the first time in the year for which the award is to be offered.
- They must not already hold Australian citizenship, Australian permanent resident status, or New Zealand citizenship.
- The candidate must plan to enroll in a field of study that aligns with the goals of the university’s research program.
- The candidate must meet all prerequisites for admission to a higher degree through research, including the English proficiency levels.
Application Process for Flinders International Research Scholarship
- You must first apply for admission to a higher degree by research (Ph.D. or Master of Arts by research), then an application for the International RHD Scholarship Group, to be considered for FIPRS.
- You must get in touch with a member of the academic faculty who specializes in your field of study and secure their commitment to supervising you if you are successful. You can also visit the official website for further details.
The Application Deadline is: 04 August 2023
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Australia scholarships here.