Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships for International Students at the University of Oxford in the UK for 2022/2023
Until lately, the Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships have been awarded in 20 constituencies representing over 60 different countries. Now the scholarships are fully international: two new Global Scholarships allow qualified candidates from the rest of the world to apply (subject to nomination).
Rhodes Trust is a global organization that uses its deep connections across the world to bring together people of different backgrounds and perspectives.
We urge the people to debate, challenge each other’s thinking and develop new ideas. Cecil Rhodes hoped his Trustees to acclimate his plans to respond effectively to changing circumstances.
Thereafter his death his Trustees formed several more Scholarships for Canada than he had done. The adaptation continued through three Acts of the British Parliament and other significant changes to his will for example, during World War I, negating the German Scholarships, which were twice re-created by his Trustees (in 1929-30 and 1969-70); in 1929, completely transforming the geographic base on which the Scholarships are awarded in the United States; opening up all but four of the Scholarships to women as well as to men in 1976; the opening up of those four remaining Scholarships (for named schools in South Africa) to women in recent years.
However, during the first 100 years after Cecil Rhodes’s death, the Trustees added at one time or another about another 40 Scholarships, though not all have continued.
In 2003 to mark the centennial of the Rhodes Scholarships and to continue the historic responsibility of the Rhodes Trust to Africa and specifically to leadership development for Africa, the Rhodes Trust joined in the innovation of The Mandela Rhodes Foundation.
The Rhodes Trust is a forward-looking organization. As Nelson Mandela said at the launch of that Foundation in 2003, there is a chance to close the circle of history.
Moreover, we do not shy away from history but use it to challenge the status quo.
- The basic tenure of the Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships is two years, subject always to satisfactory academic performance and individual conduct. In specific cases, at the control of the Academic Committee of the Rhodes Trust;
- Rhodes Trustees, Students may apply for the third year of Scholarship to complete the DPhil,
- The Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships are for not less than two years.
Eligibility for Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships
Rhodes Selection Committees are looking for young persons of exceptional intellect, character, leadership, and dedication to service from 20 Rhodes constituencies (64 countries) worldwide.
The four criteria governing the selection of Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships Students are:
- Literary and scholastic achievements (academic excellence)
- Energy to use one’s talents to the full (as displayed by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, specifically where teamwork is concerned)
- Truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness, and fellowship
- The moral force of character and intuitions to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings.
The following eligibility standards apply to all candidates for the Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships:
- Citizenship & residency: From any country in the world
- Age: You must have reached your 18th birthday and not have passed your 24th birthday on 1 October in the year of application. There is some divergence on the upper age limit across constituencies depending on the local environment. Please check carefully the exact age requirements for your constituency before applying. Successful applicants will arrive in Oxford the October following the selection process. The Scholarship may not be postponed.
- Education: Rhodes Scholars must have completed a Bachelor’s degree before coming up to Oxford, to an adequately high standard to meet both the Rhodes and the Oxford criteria. Please consult the detailed information provided by the constituency to which you are applying on our How to apply for a Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships page and the prospectus pages of the University of Oxford. NB: Some constituencies need completion of your undergraduate degree in the year of application for the Scholarship.
How to Apply for Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships
If you are interested and eligible for Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships, Go to Rhodes Trust on www. Rhodes house.ox.ac. the UK to apply. Please note that you may submit only one Rhodes Scholarship application in an application round. Any applicant submitting more than one application per year will be disqualified from all submitted applications.
For more information, visit the website.
The Application Deadline for the Scholarship is August 1, 2022.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other UK scholarships here