Application is now open for the Durham University Robert Young Scholarship. Interested candidates are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About Durham University and Scholarship
Durham University, legally known as the University of Durham, stands as a testament to centuries of academic excellence. Established by an Act of Parliament in 1832 and officially incorporated by royal charter in 1837, Durham University holds the distinction of being the first recognized university to open in England for more than six centuries, following in the esteemed footsteps of Oxford and Cambridge. Rooted in tradition and innovation, it has become the third-oldest university in England, upholding the rich legacy of higher education.
In line with its commitment to accessibility and community engagement, Durham University proudly offers the Robert Young Scholarship. This scholarship serves as a beacon of support for students in need of financial assistance who have received their education at a state-maintained County Durham school, college, or another secondary education provider. The scholarship has been made possible through a historic and generous donation of £1 million by local entrepreneur and former Councillor Robert Young. This monumental contribution represents the largest-ever scholarship donation in the history of Durham University, underscoring Mr. Young’s commitment to fostering educational opportunities and ensuring that deserving students have the means to pursue higher education.
The Robert Young Scholarship, with its substantial value of £10,000, reflects the university’s dedication to making education accessible and empowering students to realize their academic aspirations. This scholarship, generously endowed by Mr. Robert Young, stands as a lasting legacy, providing deserving students with financial support for years to come and exemplifying the spirit of community and philanthropy at Durham University.
Details about Durham University Robert Young Scholarship:
Scholarship Sponsor: Durham University, UK
Scholarship Value: £10,000 per year
Number of awards: 1
Study level: Undergraduate
Host Institution(s): Durham University, UK
£10 000 year, which includes:
- Tuition payment (up to £10,000.)
- The receiver will get termly installments of the remaining amount paid straight to them.
Eligibility Criteria for Durham University Robert Young Scholarship
Applicants are advised to meet the following prerequisites to be qualified for the Durham University Robert Young Scholarship:
- Received their two most recent four years of schooling from a county Durham school, college, or other secondary education facility that is maintained by the state.
- Possess a household income that is less than £42,875 according to a Student Finance England assessment. A preference will be granted to candidates whose household income is less than £25,000.
- Living in Durham County at the time of making a UCAS academic application to attend Durham University
A resident of County Durham is defined as having a residential postcode that begins with any letter or number combination in the Robert Young Postcodes, except the exclusions stated, to evaluate eligibility for the Robert Young Scholarship.
- Every qualified applicant for the Robert Young Scholarship will have their academic standing, personal statement, and references taken into account.
- When allocating the scholarship, other awards could also be taken into consideration.
- To identify applicants from neighborhoods with low overall rates of advancement to higher education or high levels of socioeconomic disadvantage, the university may employ additional datasets
Application Procedure for Durham University Robert Young Scholarship
Apply for a Course
- Complete and submit an academic application to Durham University by the UCAS deadline.
Apply for the Scholarship
- Fill out and submit a scholarship application that includes a personal statement describing:
- your financial situation
- how the Robert Young Scholarship would assist you to study at Durham University
- why do you want to study at Durham University?
- Please provide a copy of your Student Finance England confirmation of funding letter once obtained to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit a Character Reference
- Provide a character reference for your scholarship application by email to email@example.com from one of your teachers. Please make sure the person providing the reference does so on letterhead paper with their:
- contact details
- your full name
The Submission Deadline is: January 31, 2024
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other UK scholarships here.