Application is now open for the University of Edinburgh Tercentenary Awards for Excellence. Interested candidates are encouraged to send in their applications before the deadline date.
About the University of Edinburgh and Awards
The University of Edinburgh, known in Scots as the “University o Edinburgh” and in Scottish Gaelic as “Oilthigh Dhùn Èideann,” stands as a venerable institution deeply rooted in history and academic distinction. The university was formally founded in 1583 and was governed by the town council under the auspices of a royal charter issued by King James VI in 1582. It is the sixth-oldest institution still in operation in the English-speaking world and one of Scotland’s four ancient universities.
During the Scottish Enlightenment, Edinburgh’s intellectual landscape was significantly shaped by the University of Edinburgh. Thanks to its scholarly and enlightening contributions, Edinburgh became known as the “Athens of the North,” a testament to its importance as a leading intellectual hub. The university has endured through the ages, upholding a tradition of inventiveness and academic distinction.
The University of Edinburgh frequently receives high marks in the field of international university rankings. Edinburgh’s international standing is demonstrated by notable rankings from major organizations including QS, THE (Times Higher Education), and ARWU (Academic Ranking of World Universities), all of which place Edinburgh inside their top 40. The institution actively participates in several prestigious associations, such as Universitas 21, Una Europa, Russell Group, Coimbra Group, and League of European Research Universities.
Only Cambridge and Oxford have larger endowments than Edinburgh’s in the United Kingdom. The university occupies five major campuses throughout the city, including important historical and architectural structures that add to the Old Town’s allure.
Initiatives such as the Tercentenary Awards for Success scholarship serve as additional evidence of the institution’s dedication to academic success. This scholarship, which is available to applicants for taught LLM or MSc programs at Edinburgh Law School starting in the 2024–2025 academic year, demonstrates the university’s commitment to helping exceptional people. The Tercentenary Awards for Excellence scholarship recipients support the university’s objective of developing a diverse and accomplished academic community by receiving £5,000 to be applied toward tuition.
Details about the University of Edinburgh Tercentenary Awards for Excellence:
Scholarship Sponsor: University of Edinburgh, UK
Scholarship Value: 5,000 pounds
Number of awards: N/A
Study level: Masters
Host Institution(s): University of Edinburgh, UK
Eligibility Criteria for University of Edinburgh Tercentenary Awards for Excellence
- Academic merit and the quality of a personal statement will be taken into consideration while awarding the prize. Please include the following in your statement:
- The precise LLM or MSc program components that drew you to the University of Edinburgh and the reasons for your significance for them; and
- Describe how completing this program successfully will advance your professional goals, personal growth, and/or your ability to give back to your community, country, or area.
- Those who have never had the chance to study at the master’s level will be given priority.
- A spot at the University of Edinburgh should already have been offered to applicants, and they should either be planning to accept the offer or have already done so firmly.
- All candidates who are granted admission to the School’s taught LLM or MSc programs (including those provided online) beginning with the 2024–2025 academic year.
Application Process for the University of Edinburgh Tercentenary Awards for Excellence
First, candidates must submit an online application for a taught LLM or MSc program in the applicable field. Please be sure to include in your application that you are submitting a request for the appropriate scholarship.
The Submission Deadline is: May 1, 2024
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other UK scholarships here.