Victoria University of Wellington Scholarships is intended to promote and support doctoral study (Ph.D.) at the university.
Victoria University of Wellington is a university in Wellington, New Zealand. It was founded in 1897 by the Act of Parliament and was a constituent college of the University of New Zealand.
The university is known for its programs in law, the humanities, and some scientific disciplines, and offers a wide range of other courses. However, entry to all courses in the first year is open, and entry in the second year in some programs (e.g. law, criminology, creative writing, architecture, engineering) is limited.
Victoria University of Wellington had the highest average research grade in the New Zealand Government’s Performance-Based Research Fund exercise in both 2012 and 2018, having been rated 4th in 2006 and 3rd in 2003.
The university has been rated 215th in the World’s Top 500 universities by the QS World University Rankings (2020).
The university is named after Queen Victoria, on the 60th anniversary of her coronation. The original name was Victoria University College, but on the dissolution of the University of New Zealand in 1961 Victoria or “Vic” became the Victoria University of Wellington, granting its degrees.
In 1897, the current premier, Richard Seddon, who had until this point been unsupportive of the university project, returned from Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations in Great Britain with an honorary Law degree from the University of Cambridge. Seddon decided that the establishment of a college in Wellington would be a proper way to mark the Queen’s jubilee year.
While Victoria College had been legally established, with a grand, a council, and several students, it had no physical property for the first decade of its presence. However, early courses were held at Wellington Girls High School as well as the Technical School building on Victoria Street.
In 2010, there was a general condemnation of Victoria University of Wellington for removing the Gender Studies department. A minor in Gender Studies was made available in 2017.
Moreover, in 2012 a Facebook page that is associated with Victoria University of Wellington students, Overheard @ Vic, was in the media for the many rape comments that were made. These included comments like “you’ve got to rape the paper, man, you can’t let the paper rape you” and “at least ugly girls don’t get raped”. In response to this, a spokesperson for Victoria University of Wellington said that “scholar safety was a key focus, and the university had partnered with police and Wellington City Council to encourage awareness of personal safety”.
All offers of Victoria University of Wellington Scholarships consist of a $27,500 per annum stipend plus domestic tuition fees for up to three years.
Requirements for Victoria University of Wellington Scholarships:
The Victoria University of Wellington Scholarships is offered to the top-ranked applicants in any Doctoral admission and scholarship application round throughout the year. To be regarded for a Victoria University of Wellington Scholarships the candidate must have a strong academic record and excellent academic references, or:
- displayed potential for high-quality research; or
- a record of publication in high-quality journals proportional with experience and education.
How to Apply for Victoria University of Wellington Scholarships:
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be received. Any needed supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30 pm on the closing date for the application to be assessed.
- All offers of Victoria University of Wellington Scholarships will be conditional after the recipient is fully enrolled in a full-year program (full-time will be at the level of points assessed by Studylink as full-time) within the specified criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be postponed to a later year.
- The Victoria University of Wellington Scholarships may also be held in concurrence with other awards.
For more inquiries, click here.
The application deadline is November 1, 2022.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other New Zealand scholarships here