Application is now open for the Ailsa and Professor Ross Hawker Scholarship at the University of Queensland. Interested candidates are encouraged to send in their applications before the deadline date.
About the University of Queensland and Scholarship
The University of Queensland (UQ), often referred to as Queensland University, stands as a distinguished public research institution situated primarily in the bustling city of Brisbane, the capital of the Australian state of Queensland. Established in 1909 by the Queensland parliament, UQ holds a significant place among the country’s prestigious sandstone universities, a term informally used to designate the oldest university in each state. As a founding member of edX, UQ actively contributes to Australia’s Group of Eight and is an integral part of the international research-intensive Association of Pacific Rim Universities.
The university has garnered acclaim for its robust research focus, particularly in the fields of science, medicine, and technology. Notably, UQ has made groundbreaking contributions to medical science, with Professor Ian Frazer leading the development of cervical cancer vaccines, Gardasil and Cervarix.
The Hawker Foundation, in a gesture of honor to Ailsa and Professor Ross Hawker, has generously donated a scholarship to UQ. Professor Hawker, who served as the head of the Department of Physiology at UQ for 25 years, contributed significantly to academia, publishing over 50 books and conducting groundbreaking research since joining the university in 1950. This scholarship pays tribute to their enduring contributions to the world and aims to provide a transformative opportunity for a student to make a meaningful impact.
The scholarship, forming part of the Aspire Scholarship Program at UQ, is a testament to the university’s commitment to fostering academic excellence and supporting students in their pursuit of knowledge. By submitting a single application, eligible students can be considered for various scholarships under the Aspire Scholarship Program. The Hawker Foundation’s generous contribution reflects UQ’s dedication to creating a diverse and inclusive academic environment, where exceptional students are empowered to make a positive difference in the world.
Details about Ailsa and Professor Ross Hawker Scholarship at the University of Queensland:
Scholarship Sponsor: University of Queensland, Australia
Scholarship Value: At least $4,500
Number of awards: 1
Study level: Undergraduate
Host Institution(s): University of Queensland, Australia
Eligibility Criteria for Ailsa and Professor Ross Hawker Scholarship
Candidates are advised to meet the following conditions to be qualified for the Ailsa and Professor Ross Hawker Scholarship at the University of Queensland:
- Are you a domestic student
- Are registering as first-year students in any bachelor’s degree at UQ in the first semester of the scholarship year?
- Having not finished any earlier undergraduate or graduate-level coursework.
- Can prove they are significantly underprivileged financially by earning the highest number of points possible in the QTAC’s Educational Access Scheme “Financial Hardship” category.
- Received the UQ Link Scholarship.
- Have not been the recipient of any previous scholarships from The University of Queensland granted due to financial hardship, other than a UQ Link Scholarship
The following options, in order of preference:
- Students who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander in Australia
- Students hailing from distant, rural, or regional areas
- Individuals who are first-generation college students
- Applicants for QTAC who have included evidence of additional types of educational disadvantage in their application.
Application Process for Ailsa and Professor Ross Hawker Scholarship
Interested candidates should apply using the online application portal and then attach the following:
- your QTAC application number or UQ student number
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander status (if applicable)
- a personal statement
Note: On the deadline date, your application form and all supporting materials must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Late applications are not accepted by the university.
Use the tips for putting together a great application to help you through this procedure.
The email you received to let you know your application was received. Within two working days of completing your application, if you haven’t received your confirmation email, email firstname.lastname@example.org to the school.
The Application Deadline is: 4 February 2024
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Australia scholarships here.