Application is now open for the Department of Sociology Doctoral Studentships at the University of Surrey. Interested candidates are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About the University of Surrey and Scholarship
The University of Surrey has a rich history that evolved from the Battersea Polytechnic Institute, founded in 1891 to provide access to further and higher education for London residents, including those with limited means. The institute initially offered evening classes across various subjects like engineering, science, and more. It also provided special classes for women, emphasizing domestic economy subjects.
By 1956, the institute received the designation “College of Advanced Technology” and became known as Battersea College of Technology. However, as it expanded, it outgrew its original location in Battersea and decided to move to Guildford. This expansion was in line with the Robbins Report of 1963, which recommended that colleges of advanced technology, including Battersea, should grow and become universities granting degrees.
In 1965, the future University of Surrey secured a new campus in Guildford, thanks to collaboration with Guildford Cathedral, Guildford Borough Council, and the Onslow Village Trust. Today, the University of Surrey is highly regarded in national and international rankings, consistently ranking among the top 60 universities in the UK. It has strong programs, notably in fields like Hospitality and Leisure Management and Petroleum Engineering, and is recognized for its research partnerships with employers, making it a hub of excellence and innovation in the higher education landscape.
The Department of Sociology is excited to offer two Doctoral studentships for postgraduate research commencing in October 2023. These studentships are open to exceptional postgraduate researchers whose research aligns with the thematic areas of the Department of Sociology. For further details on the research themes, please visit the website. While they welcome proposals in any of these research themes, they have placed particular emphasis on projects within the fields of work, religion, sustainability, gender, and popular culture for the current academic year.
This is an excellent opportunity for dedicated scholars to pursue their research at the doctoral level within their dynamic and supportive academic community. They encourage interested candidates to explore these research areas and apply for these prestigious studentships. Your research could make a meaningful contribution to the understanding of these critical sociological topics.
Details about Department of Sociology Doctoral Studentships at the University of Surrey:
Scholarship Sponsor: University of Surrey, UK
Scholarship Value: £16,000
Number of awards: 2
Study level: PhD
Host Institution(s): University of Surrey, UK
These studentships provide comprehensive support for three years or on a pro-rata part-time basis. The benefits include full coverage of tuition fees at either the home or international rate, a generous annual stipend amounting to approximately £16,000, as well as an additional training grant of £500 per year. This robust financial package is designed to facilitate your research and academic journey, ensuring that you can fully engage in your doctoral studies. Don’t miss this opportunity to advance your research career in the vibrant academic environment of the Department of Sociology.
Eligibility Criteria for Department of Sociology Doctoral Studentships
Candidates are advised to meet the following conditions to be qualified for Department of Sociology Doctoral Studentships at the University of Surrey:
- Hold an offer letter for a PhD course in sociology offered at the University of Surrey. Make sure to secure your admission before applying for the studentship.
- Both international and domestic students are welcome to apply. These studentships are open to students from various backgrounds.
- Meet the admission requirements specified by the University. It’s essential to satisfy the university’s academic criteria to be considered for these competitive studentships.
Application Process for Department of Sociology Doctoral Studentships
- Download the scholarship application form.
- Complete the application form electronically with all the required information.
- Send the completed application form to Louise Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ensure you submit it before the application deadline, as late applications will not be accepted.
- Keep in mind that the selection process involves several stages. The Department of Sociology will assess the applications based on the provided criteria and invite a shortlist of candidates for an interview.
- Additionally, you must apply to the University of Surrey through the Sociology Ph.D. program page. When applying, make it clear that you are seeking the Sociology Doctoral Studentship for the year 2023.
The Submission Deadline is: December 9, 2023
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other UK scholarships here.