Application is now open for Dixon Scholarship at the University of Melbourne. Interested applicants are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About the University of Melbourne and Scholarship
The public research university known as the University of Melbourne is located in Melbourne, Australia. The second-oldest university in all of Australia, it was founded in 1853, making it the first university in Victoria. While there are several more campuses spread out around Victoria, the main campus is situated in Parkville, an inner suburb to the north of Melbourne’s central business area.
One of Australia’s six sandstone universities, the University of Melbourne was created by the colony of Victoria in the 19th century. It is a member of Universitas 21, the Group of Eight, the Association of Pacific Rim Universities, and the McDonnell International Scholars Academy at Washington University. There have been several residential colleges connected to the university since 1872 that offer housing for students and professors as well as serving as venues for academic, athletic, and cultural events. There are 10 colleges on the main campus and in the surrounding area.
The university has ties to many research institutes and centers, including the Grattan Institute, Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, and Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research. The university is made up of ten different academic departments. Melbourne Business School, Melbourne Law School, and Melbourne Medical School are three of the university’s fifteen graduate programs.
The University of Melbourne was ranked #1 in Australia by Times Higher Education in 2023, while it was placed 34th worldwide in the Academic Ranking of World Universities in 2020. Graduates of the University of Melbourne include five governors-general and four prime ministers of Australia. The University of Melbourne is the Australian institution with the most Nobel Laureates, with eight having served as instructors, scholars, or researchers there. While the University of Melbourne was placed 34th internationally in the Academic Ranking of World Universities in 2020, it was ranked first in Australia by Times Higher Education in 2023.
This scholarship is given to a University of Melbourne Faculty of Science student who is finishing their studies in the School of Chemistry, Physics, or Mathematics & Statistics based on academic excellence.
Details about the Dixon Scholarship at the University of Melbourne:
Scholarship Sponsor: University of Melbourne, Australia
Scholarship Value: $500 – $2,200
Number of awards: 7
Study level: Postgraduate
Host Institution(s): University of Melbourne, Australia
Courses: Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Chemistry
- Up to $2,200 in a single payment for the school of physics.
- Up to $2,200 in a single payment for the school of chemistry.
- A single payment of up to $500 for the school of mathematics and statistics. There are at least five scholarships offered.
Eligibility Criteria for the University of Melbourne Dixon Scholarship
Applicants are advised to meet the following conditions to be eligible for the Dixon Scholarship at the University of Melbourne:
- enroll in a doctoral program in philosophy in the Department of Chemistry;
- possess either a Master of Science (Chemistry) or a Bachelor of Science (Honors) in Chemistry from the University of Melbourne.
- enroll in the School of Physics Doctor of Philosophy in Science program.
- be conducting experimental physics research.
- possess a completed Applied Mathematics course or be enrolled in the first, second, or third year of a Bachelor of Science in the School of Mathematics and Statistics.
- possess a completed Pure Mathematics course and be enrolled in the second or third year of a Bachelor of Science program at the School of Mathematics and Statistics.
- Academic merit will be used to rank eligible applicants.
Application Process for the University of Melbourne Dixon Scholarship
No application is needed. Automatic consideration for this award will be given to you. You can also visit the official website for further details.
The Application Deadline is: Not Specified
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Australia scholarships here.