Application is now open for the James McCune Smith Scholarships at the University of Glasgow. Interested applicants are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About the University of Glasgow and Scholarship
The University of Glasgow stands as a beacon of academic excellence, contributing to the rich tapestry of higher education.
The James McCune Smith PhD Scholarships are not just about financial support; they aspire to create an enriched academic experience. As part of this initiative, recipients will benefit from external mentors, gain exposure through placements, undergo leadership training, engage in community-building activities, and access valuable networking opportunities. These comprehensive provisions aim to empower scholars and enhance their academic journey, contributing to their personal and professional growth.
Dr. Dwayne Spiteri, a research associate in the School of Physics & Astronomy at the University of Glasgow, shares his perspective on the impact of the James McCune Smith Scholarships. His experience underscores the significance of this scholarship program in addressing the under-representation of Black students at the research level. By providing a platform for diverse voices and perspectives, the University of Glasgow is actively working towards creating a more inclusive and representative landscape within academia.
In summary, the James McCune Smith Scholarships at the University of Glasgow not only symbolize a commitment to academic excellence but also serve as a testament to the university’s dedication to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education.
Details about James McCune Smith Scholarships at the University of Glasgow:
Scholarship Sponsor: University of Glasgow, UK
Scholarship Value: Covers stipend and fees for up to four years, including a training grant of £3,000 per year
Number of awards: 12
Study level: PhD
Host Institution(s): University of Glasgow, UK
The following advantages will be available to those who are selected:
- Fees and stipend coverage for up to four years (estimated at £19,162 for 2024 entrance)
- An annual training grant of £3,000.
- Placement for six months in a non-governmental, industrial, or governmental setting
- Networking and mentorship from non-academic sources for a wider viewpoint
- Training in leadership and community-building exercises
- Assistance with conferences and further networking events
Eligibility Criteria for James McCune Smith Scholarships mp
Applicants are advised to meet the following prerequisites to be qualified for James McCune Smith Scholarships at the University of Glasgow:
- Countries Eligible: UK-based
- Acceptable Course(s): Any subject that the university offers is eligible for the award.
- Acceptable Requirements: Applicants must fulfill the following requirements to be accepted:
- Own a Black African, Black Caribbean, Black Other, Mixed White and Black African, or Mixed White and Black Caribbean passport and be a resident of the United Kingdom.
- No limitations on requesting funding for other programs to apply for a spot.
Application Process for James McCune Smith Scholarships
- To recommend a research topic and a supervisor, Look at the research interests of staff. The school is glad to assist you if you are unable to locate a supervisor.
- To help you with your application, please submit an Expression of Interest form that has been filled out.
- Start the application process by getting in touch with possible supervisors. Make sure to mention that you would like to apply for a James McCune Smith Scholarship as one of your funding alternatives when reaching out to a possible supervisor. The James McCune Smith Scholarship applicant chooses the study topic in consultation with their prospective supervisor. Please refer to the Research Proposal Guidance [PDF] for those areas where you must submit a research proposal.
- Use the school’s Scholarship Portal to send in your statement. Your research interests and the reasons you want to be a James McCune Smith Scholar should be covered in up to 500 words in your statement.
- Additionally, you must apply via the MyCampus portal of the university. In the online full application, please include the James McCune Smith Scholarship as one of the funding alternatives under Finance. Applications must be submitted by January 31, 2024, however early submission is advised.
The institution is eager to assist you in navigating and supporting you during the application process. If you require any help at all, send an email to JMSPhD@glasgow.ac.uk. You can also visit the official website for further details.
The Submission Deadline is: 31 January 2024
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other UK scholarships here.