Application is now open for the University of Geneva UNIGE Excellence Master Fellowships. Interested candidates are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About the University of Geneva and Fellowship
Geneva, Switzerland is home to the University of Geneva (Université de Genève), a public research institution. John Calvin established it as a theological seminary in 1559. Up until the 17th century, when it became a hub for enlightened studies, its concentration was strictly theological. In terms of student population, it is now Switzerland’s third-largest university.
The University of Geneva’s Faculty of Science is a renowned research institution with a global reputation. Scientific fields like astronomy, biology, chemistry, biochemistry, computer science, mathematics, physics, pharmaceutical sciences, earth sciences, and the environment are all covered by this cutting-edge study. Along with several European research initiatives, the Faculty is home to two National Centres of Competence in Research of the highly competitive Swiss National Sciences Foundation (SwissMAP; Planets).
The Master’s program at the Faculty of Science provides an excellent foundation for both academic and professional growth, with opportunities for employment in industry, education, scientific administration, communication, and the media. The Master’s degree programs are offered in both English and French or solely in English (see the descriptions of each program).
Outstanding and highly motivated students who want to pursue a Master of Science degree in one of the areas taught by the Faculty of Science can apply for the Excellence Fellowship program, which the Faculty of Science has created with the assistance of external partners1. The criteria used to pick candidates is excellence.
Details about the University of Geneva UNIGE Excellence Master Fellowships:
Scholarship Sponsor: Faculty of Science of the University of Geneva/University of Geneva, Switzerland
Scholarship Value: Up to CHF 15’000
Number of awards: N/A
Study level: Fellowship
Host Institution(s): University of Geneva, Switzerland
The Excellence Fellowship is awarded for a year and can be extended for the regular length of the selected Master’s program (three or four semesters) if the applicant is academically successful after his or her first semester of study. The grant amounts to CHF 10,000 to CHF 15,000 per year (no teaching duties).
Eligibility Criteria for University of Geneva UNIGE Excellence Master Fellowships
This program is for you if you are among the top students in your year 2 and have passed or are pursuing a stellar bachelor’s degree, regardless of your home university! To be considered for an Excellence Fellowship, you must be accepted into the Master’s program of your choice and be chosen based solely on your application.
The application (in either English or French) has to have a SINGLE PDF file including the following documents:
- A scan of your passport or national identity card
- A Curriculum Vitae (no more than two pages)
- The transcript containing all grades earned on tests taken during a bachelor’s degree program
- A motivation letter outlining your reasons for wanting to enroll in the University of Geneva’s Master of Science program as well as your particular scientific interests
- If at all feasible, two professors’ recommendation letters attest to your suitability for the program (ideally received directly from the professors to Excellence-Master-Sciences@unige.ch).
- Any additional relevant data, such as the outcomes of a language test, the General Requirements Examination (GRE), or the TOEFL
Application Process for University of Geneva UNIGE Excellence Master Fellowships
Each student must complete the enrollment process as outlined on the Admissions Office website for their application to be taken into consideration.
- A copy of your UNIGE card or, if you are not yet enrolled, the email from the central administration titled “Your application to UNIGE”—which serves as documentation that you have begun the matriculation process—is needed.
Online applications are accepted starting in January of each year. Following your registration, you will get an email with a unique link that will let you complete the application.
The next deadline for applications is February 28, 2024 (beginning on September 16, 2024 for Masters students).
The application file will not be taken into consideration if any of the above clauses are not fulfilled.
Further information is available at http://www.unige.ch/sciences/masterEnregistrer
- Full list of the Master programs under http://www.unige.ch/sciences/Masters
- Applications for the Excellence Award are no longer accepted from students who have begun a Master’s program at the Faculty of Science. Master’s Degree
- The Academic Advisor or the master’s coordinators can provide more details.
The Application Deadline is: February 28, 2024
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Switzerland scholarships here.