Application is now open for the American College of Surgeons Medical Scholarships. Interested applicants are encouraged to send in their applications before the deadline date.
About American College of Surgeons and Scholarship
The American College of Surgeons (ACS) is a prominent professional medical association dedicated to surgeons and surgical team members. It changed from the 1910 expansion of the journal Surgery, Gynecology, and Obstetrics to become the Clinical Congress of Surgeons of North America in 1913. The driving force behind the founding of ACS was Dr. Franklin H. Martin.
With more than 88,000 members in 144 countries, the ACS is dedicated to improving surgical practice, education, and training internationally. The College’s organizational structure is headed by the Board of Regents, which is responsible for formulating policies and overseeing the College’s activities.
The American College of Surgeons actively promotes international collaboration and education through initiatives like the American College of Surgeons Medical Scholarships. These scholarships are meant for worthy international applicants and offer opportunities to take part in a variety of educational programs that support the acquisition of new knowledge and skills relevant to surgical education and training.
Up to $10,000 in financial support is available for young faculty members from non-US and non-Canadian nations through these scholarships. The training program’s objective is for the scholars to use what they have learned to return home with improved surgical education.
This initiative represents the commitment of the American College of Surgeons to advance surgical quality and the field globally by providing funding for the international education and professional development of surgeons and surgical educators. The training program’s objective is for the scholars to use what they have learned to return home with improved surgical education.
This initiative represents the commitment of the American College of Surgeons to advance surgical quality and the field globally by providing funding for the international education and professional development of surgeons and surgical educators.
Details about the American College of Surgeons Medical Scholarships:
Scholarship Sponsor: American College of Surgeons
Scholarship Value: Partial Funding $10,000
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Postgraduate
Host Institution(s): American College of Surgeons
Eligibility Criteria for American College of Surgeons Medical Scholarships
Applicants are advised to meet the following requirements to be qualified for American College of Surgeons Medical Scholarships:
- Candidates must be medical school graduates who have finished their surgical residency.
- Candidates must be fully qualified surgeons with no more than 20 years of experience and a minimum of five years of experience following the completion of their surgical certification, or an equivalent.
- Applications must be submitted from the applicant’s planned permanent address. Only after completing all formal training, including fellowships and scholarships, and after the applicants have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their desired permanent location, will applications be processed.
- Candidates must demonstrate a dedication to doing top-notch surgery, instructing surgeons, and expanding community access to surgical care.
- Previous recipients of the ACS International Scholarship are not qualified.
- All relevant fields must be filled out by applicants. The application needs to be submitted in English, together with any supporting documents.
- Applicants who have never had training or a surgical fellowship in the United States or Canada will be given preference.
- Three (3) independently written recommendation letters from colleagues are required of applicants. Two letters are required: one from a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons who resides in their nation, or from the chair of the department in which they hold a clinical or academic appointment.
- The year that the ISSURGED award is designated for must be used.
- After returning home, awardees are requested to submit a written report outlining the significance of the visit to them as well as any potential advantages for national patients.
Application Process for American College of Surgeons Medical Scholarships
Interested applicants for the American College of Surgeons Medical Scholarships should log in or register and submit all the needed supporting documents. You can also visit the official website for further details.
The Submission Deadline: January 15, 2024
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other USA scholarships here.