Application is now open for the David Eade Undergraduate Piano Scholarship at the Victoria University of Wellington. Interested applicants are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About Victoria University of Wellington and Scholarship
Wellington, New Zealand’s Victoria University of Wellington (Mori: Te Herenga Waka) is a public university. It was a founding college of the University of New Zealand and was created in 1897 under an act of parliament. The institution provides a wide range of additional courses in addition to its well-regarded programs in law, the humanities, and several scientific fields. All first-year courses are accessible to enrollment, however, some programs (such as those in law, criminology, creative writing, architecture, and engineering) have restrictions on second-year enrollment.
Victoria, which was placed fourth in 2006 and third in 2003, received the highest average research grade in the New Zealand Government’s Performance Based Research Fund exercise in both 2012 and 2018. The QS World University Rankings (2020) have Victoria placed 215th out of the top 500 universities worldwide.
The New Zealand School of Music at Te Herenga Waka – Victoria University of Wellington established the David Eade Undergraduate Piano Scholarship to support the study and training of undergraduate classical piano students. David Philps Eade left a donation that enabled the establishment of this scholarship in 2023 for the benefit of classical pianists enrolled at the New Zealand School of Music.
Details about David Eade Undergraduate Piano Scholarship at the Victoria University of Wellington:
Scholarship Sponsor: Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
Scholarship Value: $10,000
Number of awards: N/A
Study level: Undergraduate
Host Institution(s): Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
- The value of the David Eade Undergraduate Piano Scholarship is $10,000 over three years.
- The scholarship will pay for tuition, books, and other costs associated with studying piano at the New Zealand School of Music.
- The fund may be kept or given to other categories if a qualified applicant cannot be found for any category.
Eligibility Criteria for David Eade Undergraduate Piano Scholarship
Candidates are advised to meet the following conditions to be eligible for the David Eade Undergraduate Piano Scholarship and Scholarship:
- Undergraduate classical piano students planning to enroll at Te K? k? New Zealand School of Music is eligible for this award.
- Candidates must be citizens or lawful permanent residents of New Zealand.
The following criteria will be used in the selection process:
- Current NCEA development.
- The performance that was submitted with the scholarship-specific paperwork is listed below
The New Zealand School of Music Director, the Director of Piano Studies, and Diedre Irons (as designated by the donor) will choose the winning candidate.
- Two references: a character reference and an academic reference, both of which must be acquired through the online application.
- Please provide a web address for a recent performance (within the last six months).
- Four compositions with different tempos, moods, and styles, including:
- One Romantic composition
- One 20th-/21st-century work
- Any composition of Bach, Scarlatti, or Handel
- A fast movement from a work by Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, or Schubert
- A virtuoso etude, which may take the place of either a romantic or modern composition, must be one of the four pieces.
- The family of the donor must receive a letter of gratitude from the recipients.
- The recipients will be required to take the stage for a memorial concert for David P. Eade.
- To maintain the undergraduate scholarship for the whole tenure, students must have a minimum grade of B+ in each subject.
- The awardee will be required to show participation with and contribution to the New Zealand School of Music community and environment. Participation in ensembles, presentations, or performances at NZSM or University events are a few examples, although they are not the only ones.
Application Process for David Eade Undergraduate Piano Scholarship
Interested and qualified applicants should log in and register for the scholarship here. Applications that are incomplete or sent late won’t be accepted. The application and all required documentation, including references, must be turned in by 4:30 p.m. on the deadline day. Typically, applications become available one month before the deadline. If there isn’t an application link listed here, come back later, closer to the deadline. You can also visit the Victoria University of Wellington website for further details.
The Application Deadline is: September 11, 2023
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other New Zealand scholarships here.