Application is now open for the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation’s German Chancellor Fellowships. Interested applicants are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About the Scholarship
The German Federal Chancellor, who represents the Federal Republic of Germany, is the program’s sponsor. There are currently 50 German Chancellor Fellowships available.
The German Chancellor Fellowship Program of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is intended for recent graduates from universities in Brazil, the People’s Republic of China, India, the Russian Federation, South Africa, and the USA who have an interest in international affairs and a little leadership experience. It targets potential decision-makers, multipliers, and thought-leaders across a wide variety of professions, including politics, public administration, business, society, and culture. This fellowship program is meant to provide students the chance to spend a year in Germany investigating fresh approaches to the world’s contemporary problems and expanding their networks.
Germany’s role as a premier hub for intercultural dialogue and a meeting place for the next generation of international leaders is reaffirmed by this project.
During their stay in Germany, the German Chancellor Fellows engage in independently developed research-based initiatives that are important to society and might have a lasting, broadly felt impact. They are overseen by German hosts who choose themselves and who are qualified to coach the corresponding topics. To become effective global leaders, the fellows’ initiatives help them progress their careers by deepening their subject-matter expertise, obtaining fresh international experience, and enhancing their intercultural competencies in Germany.
Details about Alexander von Humboldt Foundation’s German Chancellor Fellowships:
Scholarship Sponsor: Germany Universities
Scholarship Value: Partially Funded
Number of awards: Several
Study level: Fellowship
Host Institution(s): Germany Universities
As part of this fellowship for emerging leaders, you are granted a year in Germany to carry out a project idea you have developed. To uncover fresh solutions to the world’s contemporary problems, the foundation will help you network with future leaders from across the world. The foundation also provides you with:
- according to your level of training and job, a monthly fellowship stipend of 2,000, 2,300, or 2,600 euros.
- a rigorous language course before you start your fellowship and money for German classes while you are on fellowship,
- personally tailored assistance throughout your stay in Germany
- extra financial assistance, such as for mobility, accompanying family members, travel expenses, full private health insurance, or additional German language courses
- collaborative activities that allow you to interact with fellows from your year group in a professional and personal intercultural exchange while learning about German culture and society,
- engaging in networking activities that allow you to work with others in peer groups and individually set up more intimate networking settings
- extensive alumni sponsorship, in particular, to support lifelong relationships with your cooperation partners in Germany throughout your entire professional career a two-week study tour through Germany as well as several events where you may network with peers and interact with German business and institution representatives
Your host will get a monthly payment of €500 to help with any costs associated with completing the project.
Eligibility Criteria for Alexander von Humboldt Foundation’s German Chancellor Fellowships
Regardless of the business, the German Chancellor Fellowship supports the next generation of decision-makers, multipliers, and thought leaders. To apply, you must:
- hold Brazilian, Chinese, Indian, South African, or American citizenship;
- work in a field such as politics, business, media, administration, society, or culture;
- have a Bachelor’s degree or a degree of comparable standing;
- have earned their first leadership position within the last twelve years. The first of October 2023 is a crucial date for determining this twelve-year timeframe;
- would want to perform an independent project in Germany with a host of your choosing;
- possess strong English and/or German language skills.
Application Procedure for Alexander von Humboldt Foundation’s German Chancellor Fellowships
Register now and apply online before the deadline, or keep working on your application. However, before applying, you should consult with your selected host about the specifics of your project. Please submit all application paperwork to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation through the Internet exclusively.
- Motivational Letter: Talk about your motivations, your prior leadership experience, and your professional aspirations.
- Project Schedule: Describe the project you created on your own and in agreement with your prospective host before submitting your application. How will you be able to foster future ties between Germany and your native country? Why is your initiative important to society?
- long statement with the German host’s promise to coach you
- two letters of recommendation, no more than a year old, from someone who may remark on your academic, professional, or personal experience.
Note: There are links in the online application form where you may upload your statements and letters of recommendation. Please provide these links to the appropriate parties as soon as you can. When the admission office has all the necessary paperwork, they will send you a confirmation email.
If you have any doubts or questions, please contact (info[at]avh.de) before submitting your application.
The Application Deadline is: October 15, 2023
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Germany scholarships here.