Application is now open for the Joan Allsop Scholarship at the University of Queensland. Interested applicants are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About the University of Queensland and Scholarship
The State Parliament passed a law in 1909 creating the University of Queensland, the first institution in the state. On April 16, 1910, candidates for the first UQ Senate were officially announced and the University of Queensland was effectively created. In 1911, Brisbane’s Old Government House on George Street welcomed students. In the first year, there were 83 students in the three colleges of arts, science, and engineering (60 men and 23 women).
After World War I, the University quickly exceeded its location in the city. In 1922, a second site in Victoria Park was acquired; it is presently home to the Medical School. Four years later, Dr. James O’Neil Mayne and his sister Miss Mary Emelia Mayne contributed money to acquire the St. Lucia property where the university’s main campus is now situated. The first structure, which was subsequently renamed the Forgan Smith structure in honor of the then-Premier, was finished on the St. Lucia site in 1939. Construction had begun there in 1937. The Allied Land Forces in the South West Pacific used it as their cutting-edge headquarters during World War II.
With gifts and a bequest from Dr. Joan Allsop, the Joan Allsop Scholarship was created in 2012 and is still in operation today.
Details about the Joan Allsop Scholarship at the University of Queensland:
Scholarship Sponsor: University of Queensland, Australia
Scholarship Value: Up to $6,000
Number of awards: Varies
Study level: Postgraduate/PhD
Host Institution(s): University of Queensland, Australia
Joan Allsop Scholarship- Eligibility Criteria
You qualify for Joan Allsop Scholarship if you are a Ph.D. student working on a dissertation about Australia, including Australian history, botany, or wildlife.
Your application will be evaluated based on these factors:
- Academic accomplishment and potential, as well as the importance and applicability of the scholarship’s planned usage to the applicant’s Higher Degree by Research candidacy.
- the possibility for the scholarship to be used to speed up and improve the applicant’s thesis’ quality;
- any other factors the selection committee deems appropriate.
Application Procedure for Joan Allsop Scholarship
Fill out the scholarship application form and attach the below documents:
- Application form
- Budget spreadsheet (XLS, 40KB)
- In addition, your CV must be sent, and you are free to include any further supporting documentation.
Terms and Conditions
- The Graduate School must first provide its consent before making any modifications to the trip’s destination, objective, or dates. Losing the permission might result in forfeiting the reward. Changes made in the past won’t be accepted.
- No sooner than Monday, September 11, 2023, maybe the departure date. The processing of award payments might take up to four (4) weeks.
- Before applying, applicants must have their Principal Supervisor’s approval for the planned activities and travel.
- Applying for this award is for travel financing only; it does not constitute travel authorization. Candidates must adhere to the guidelines and instructions listed on the HDR Travel page.
- Unused money must be given back to the Graduate School.
- The availability of extra money to augment the award, if necessary, must be shown by the applicants.
- Donors may ask the scholarship winner to give a presentation on the work completed as part of the award; in this instance, they must accept the invitation or risk losing the scholarship.
- The recipients of these charitable scholarships are required to mention them in any publication that is published as a consequence of the study that was carried out while they held the award.
Note: The Graduate School will not contact applicants who submit incomplete applications; applicants are responsible for supplying the necessary paperwork.
Application Deadline: Wednesday 16 August 2023
Announcement of the outcome of the round: Friday 8 September 2023
The earliest date for travel departure: Monday 11 September 2023
Travel to be completed by: Sunday 15 September 2024
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Australia scholarships here.