Application is now open for the Fulbright Joint Supervision Scholarships for PhD Students At Moroccan Universities. Interested applicants are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About the Scholarship
Candidates chosen for this program may spend up to a full year performing research at an American institution, auditing classes, and using the labs and libraries, all while being supervised by an American co-supervisor.
For this program to work, a Ph.D. student must first find an American professor who would house them for a year. Applications must be accompanied by a letter of invitation from an American professor expressing the professor’s strong support for the applicants’ visit and collaboration at their university.
The Moroccan supervisor and the American professor are recognized as the applicant’s formal supervisors. The American professor’s letter must clearly state that they will oversee and direct the applicant’s Ph.D. work while they are in the country. The Moroccan directeur de thèse of the applicant is also required to submit a letter of support outlining their involvement in this award.
Many applications take into account an already-existing connection between Moroccan and American teachers. Applications where the U.S. professor is mentioned because of their importance to the applicant’s field of study and where the applicant has emailed several such professors in an attempt to locate one who will send a letter of support are equally common.
Grantees of Joint Supervision often don’t enroll in courses at their American host university for academic credit. The Commission and AMIDEAST must both approve requests for credit-bearing courses. The Joint Supervision grant is ideally for one roundtrip flight to the USA, however, it can be split into two visits upon request. The award stipulates that a minimum of two months may be used for research.
Details about Fulbright Joint Supervision Scholarships for Ph.D. Students At Moroccan Universities:
Scholarship Sponsor: Fulbright, USA
Scholarship Value: Fully funded
Number of awards: N/A
Study level: PhD
Host Institution(s): Moroccan Universities
The Joint Supervision Scholarship covers the following :
- A monthly stipend for the duration of the study at the American university, which may be split into two terms if necessary. The grant for joint supervision pays for one or two roundtrip flights from Morocco to the American host university;
- Charges at the American host university that are reasonable and approved by MACECE and the American co-supervisor;
- A maximum of $1,000 for the purchase of books and supplies; a maximum of $1,000 for the purchase or leasing of required academic equipment;
- Insurance for medical expenses throughout the grantee’s time in the country
- The American co-supervisor is also given a round-trip ticket and a daily allowance by MACECE so that they can travel to Morocco for up to a week to meet with Moroccan colleagues and academic institutions and attend the Moroccan student’s Ph.D. thesis defense.
Eligibility Criteria for Fulbright Joint Supervision Scholarships
Applicants are advised to meet the following conditions to be eligible for the Fulbright Joint Supervision Scholarships for Ph.D. Students At Moroccan Universities:
- Applications without promises and approval from academics in both Morocco and the United States will not be taken into consideration.
- Applications must contain reviews of the applicant’s dissertation proposal from the American co-supervisor and the Moroccan directeur de thèse.
- For the paper-based test, applicants must provide a minimum TOEFL score of 477 or an IBT minimum score of 53. Humanities applicants must score at least 500/61. This criterion does not apply to applicants who have a B.A. in English Studies.
- Applications must contain a condensed thesis proposal designed especially for this application, covering the topics listed below:
1- The opening few paragraphs of the amended thesis proposal must clearly express the dissertation’s hypothesis and overarching objective in simple English;
2- How the dissertation’s topic and research are positioned about ongoing fieldwork being conducted globally as well as in Morocco;
3- An essential factor in the Selection Committee’s evaluation of the proposal is how it corresponds to Morocco’s requirements for national development;
4- A concise summary of the pertinent literature with a current bibliography.
Application Process for Fulbright Joint Supervision Scholarships
Interested and eligible applicants should log in or register for the Fulbright Joint Supervision Scholarships here.
The Submission Deadline is: December 15, 2023
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other USA scholarships here.