Application is now open for the Vice Chancellor’s International Entrance Scholarship for School Leavers at the University of Waikato. Interested applicants are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About the University of Waikato and Scholarship
The University of Waikato was founded in 1964 and is a public research institution in Hamilton, New Zealand (in Maori: Te Whare Wnanga o Waikato). Tauranga is home to a second campus. The institution conducts research in the fields of management, social sciences, and education and is a pioneer in environmental science, engineering, computer science, and freshwater and marine ecology. Health, engineering, computer science, management, Mori and Indigenous Studies, the arts, psychology, social sciences, and education are among the degrees it provides.
Out of the top 1,000 institutions in the world, The University of Waikato is rated 373rd in the most recent QS rankings for 2021. In addition, the university has received rankings between 101 and 200 in the Impact Rankings and between 501 and 600 in the Times Higher (THE) World University Rankings.
The International Excellence – NZ School Leavers Scholarship was replaced in 2019 by the Vice Chancellor’s International Entrance Scholarship for School Leavers. The Scholarship was established to help gifted onshore foreign students who are enrolling for the first time in an undergraduate degree at the University of Waikato, increase educational opportunities, and develop internationalization.
The scholarship is available to any international student who is presently residing in New Zealand and who has completed a full year of NCEA Level 2 and/or 3 coursework, or an equivalent, at a New Zealand high school in the year before enrolling in the degree program and accepting the award.
Details about the Vice Chancellor’s International Entrance Scholarship for School Leavers at the University of Waikato:
Scholarship Sponsor: University of Waikato, New Zealand
Scholarship Value: Up to NZD$15,000
Number of awards: N/A
Study level: Undergraduate
Host Institution(s): University of Waikato, New Zealand
Recipients will be asked to represent the University of Waikato abroad. The Scholarship is not transferable and can only be used toward tuition costs.
Eligibility Criteria for Vice Chancellor’s International Entrance Scholarship for School Leavers
1. Qualified students must:
- Be applying to enroll full-time (120 points) for the first time in an undergraduate degree program at the University of Waikato; Have passed NCEA Level 3 with University Entrance at a high school in New Zealand;
- Candidates who are taking ONE “gap year” in the year of application may also be taken into consideration as long as they earned NCEA Level 3 or equivalent 1 the year before and did not start or finish another tertiary degree during this time.
- By contacting the university at https://www.waikato.ac.nz/study/contact/, students who have received an Offer of Place and have earned University Entrance based on NCEA Level 2 may be taken into consideration. These pupils will be taken into account on an individual basis.
2. The following students are not qualified for the scholarship:
- Returning students to the University of Waikato;
- Students enrolling in courses lasting shorter than a year;
- Students coming to the University of Waikato through a sponsoring organization;
- Students attending under a Guaranteed Credit Agreement;
- Students receiving scholarships from Education New Zealand or the New Zealand Government;
- Recipients of any additional tuition-fee support provided by the University of Waikato; international students and/or those planning to study online.
Interview Process for Vice Chancellor’s International Entrance Scholarship for School Leavers
When they get an Offer of a Place into an undergraduate degree program, eligible students will first learn about their Scholarship. Following the Offer of Place, a formal scholarship offer will be made through the MyWaikato portal, often within 14 days.
Application Process for Vice Chancellor’s International Entrance Scholarship for School Leavers
The Application Deadline is: Not Specified
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other New Zealand scholarships here.