Application is now open for the Durham Inspired Scholarships for North East Students at Durham University. Interested applicants are encouraged to send in their applications before the deadline date.
About Durham University and Scholarship
The University of Durham, officially known as Durham University, stands as a beacon of academic excellence and a testament to centuries of educational tradition. Established by an Act of Parliament in 1832 and granted a royal charter in 1837, Durham University holds the distinction of being the first recognized university to open in England in over 600 years, following in the esteemed footsteps of Oxford and Cambridge. Embracing the ethos of a collegiate university, Durham is celebrated as the third-oldest university in England, playing a pivotal role in shaping the educational landscape.
Durham University’s unique structure entails a symbiotic relationship between its academic departments and the encompassing 17 colleges. While the academic departments spearhead research endeavors and provide students with enriching educational experiences, the colleges take charge of domestic affairs and student welfare, fostering a holistic and supportive environment.
As a prominent member of the Russell Group of British research universities, Durham University contributes significantly to cutting-edge research and academic collaboration. Affiliations with esteemed groups such as the N8 Research Partnership, Matariki Network of Universities, and the Coimbra Group underscore its commitment to regional and international engagement. The university’s extensive estate, adorned with 83 listed buildings, seamlessly marries historical treasures like the 11th-century Durham Castle with more contemporary structures, including the 1960s brutalist students’ union.
Durham’s enduring commitment to excellence is evident in its consistent placement within the top ten national university rankings in the United Kingdom. Notably, it shares the distinction with Oxford, Cambridge, and St Andrews as one of the four universities that have steadfastly maintained their positions in the top 10 across all three major domestic league tables since 2013.
In an inspiring move to further its commitment to accessibility and regional support, Durham University proudly announces the Durham Inspired: North East Scholarships for 2024. This initiative is thoughtfully designed to empower and encourage applicants hailing from the North East of England, embodying the university’s dedication to fostering talent and making education accessible to diverse communities. As Durham University continues to weave its rich tapestry of academic heritage and innovation, the introduction of these scholarships reaffirms its commitment to being a catalyst for positive change in the lives of students from the North East region.
Details about Durham Inspired Scholarships for North East Students:
Scholarship Sponsor: Durham University, UK
Scholarship Value: £4,000 per academic year
Number of awards: 3
Study level: Undergraduate
Host Institution(s): Durham University, UK
Eligibility Criteria for Durham Inspired Scholarships for North East Students
Candidates are advised to meet the following conditions to be qualified for Durham Inspired Scholarships for North East Students:
- Possess a household income ascertained by Student Finance England of less than £42,875.00.
- Be a resident of one of the following postal regions in the Northeast: CA, DH, DL, NE, SR, or TS
- Applications for scholarships will be evaluated based on the applicant’s capacity to meet the requirements, academic potential, personal statement, and reference.
- To aid in the evaluation of scholarship applications, the University will collect contextual data in addition to the data provided on the application form.
Application Process for Durham Inspired Scholarships for North East Students
Apply for a course
- Complete and submit an academic application to Durham University through UCAS for an available program of study.
- Before the scholarship deadline, send in a completed scholarship application form.
- To email@example.com, please include a copy of your Student Finance England letter outlining the amount of maintenance loan you will receive. Please send a copy of this document as soon as you can if you don’t have it by the deadline.
- Inform your referee about the scholarship you are applying for as well as the deadline for receiving your reference; instructions are given below.
- A character reference from one of your teachers in support of your scholarship application must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure your referee provides the reference on letterhead paper with the following information:
- their name
- contact details
- the name of the scholarship
- your full name
The Application Deadline is: 21st March 2024
Application Outcome: End of May 2024
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other UK scholarships here.