Application is now open for the Thomas Wälde Scholarships at the University of Dundee. Interested applicants are encouraged to send in their applications before the deadline date.
About the University of Dundee and Scholarship
The University of Dundee has a rich history that includes its origins in the earlier university college based in Dundee and its close association with the University of St Andrews. The need for a higher education institution in Dundee became evident in the 19th century, with the city’s growing population demanding such an establishment. Various organizations, including a University Club, were formed to advocate for this cause.
There were deliberations about relocating the entire university to Dundee or establishing a college like the present United College. Eventually, it was agreed that what was most needed was the expansion of the sciences and professions, as opposed to a focus on the arts, which remained centered at St Andrews.
Scholarships play a crucial role in facilitating academic and career aspirations by removing financial barriers. To support students in their pursuit of educational and research goals, the University of Dundee is offering the Thomas Wälde Scholarships for the academic year 2023. These scholarships are open to high-achieving international students who wish to undertake a PhD program at the University of Dundee in the UK. This financial support will enable students to pursue their academic and research endeavors with fewer financial constraints.
Details about Thomas Wälde Scholarships at the University of Dundee:
Scholarship Sponsor: CEPMLP, Energy Environment and Society/ University of Dundee, UK
Scholarship Value: Tuition fees
Number of awards: N/A
Study level: PhD
Host Institution(s): University of Dundee, UK
The Thomas Wälde Scholarships offered by the University of Dundee for the academic year 2023 will provide significant support to recipients. The scholarship covers the full academic tuition fees for three years, ensuring that students can focus on their studies without the financial burden of tuition costs. In addition to covering tuition fees, the scholarship also includes a maintenance stipend. This stipend will be disbursed in 12 monthly payments, providing financial support for the recipient’s living expenses throughout their academic journey. It’s a comprehensive scholarship package aimed at helping students pursue their PhD studies with financial peace of mind.
Eligibility Criteria for Thomas Wälde Scholarships
Applicants are advised to meet the following prerequisites to be qualified for Thomas Wälde Scholarships at the University of Dundee:
- All nationalities are welcome to apply.
- Candidates from the following nations will be given precedence if they meet the international fee status: Botswana, Congo, (Democratic Republic) Egypt, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Mozambique, Namibia, Senegal, South Africa, Zambia, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, Trinidad & Tobago, China, India, Indonesia, Mongolia, Thailand, and East Timor.
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: Full-time postgraduate and undergraduate degree programs in the following topic areas are eligible for the scholarship.
- Admissible Criteria: The candidates must satisfy all of the requirements to be eligible:
- Already have a solid Master’s degree in a related field and an Honours degree in Law with a GPA of 2.1 or above. Other academic candidates will also be taken into consideration if they can properly articulate why they want to research international investment law.
- Demonstrate your capacity for leadership and intellectual prowess.
- Applicants must meet language standards if English is not their first language.
- Entry Requirements: A degree program’s entry requirements may include a previous degree or certification, a required grade point average (GPA), a requirement for English language fluency, and other program-specific criteria.
- English language competence is one of the qualifications for this opportunity. Students who want to enroll in courses at the University of Dundee may need to show proof of their English language ability, depending on their educational history and place of birth.
Include the following files with your PhD scholarship application:
- A comprehensive CV, including details of your qualifications, relevant training, and work experience
- A personal statement: This should explain why you wish to pursue this specific PhD project, highlighting your motivation, the skills, knowledge, and experience that you can bring to the project, and how they will enable you to complete the research. You should also discuss your career objectives.
- A 5-10 page research proposal: This proposal should outline the research topic you intend to investigate, describe your methodological approach, and discuss the potential impact of the study.
- Two references: Provide two references, with at least one of them being an academic reference. Ensure that these references are on official letterhead and signed.
- University degree transcripts: Include transcripts from your previous academic degrees to demonstrate your academic qualifications.
- Relevant academic degree certificates: Include certificates or diplomas for your academic degrees to confirm your educational achievements.
Please make sure that all these documents are complete and well-prepared, as they will play a crucial role in the scholarship application process. Follow the specific instructions provided by the University of Dundee for submission, as these requirements can vary.
Application Procedure for Thomas Wälde Scholarships
Applicants must typically hold a strong taught master’s degree or its equivalent in a relevant field from an accredited university to be considered. Please use the school’s Direct Application Service to submit your application. Please get in touch with Dr Xuanli Liao if you have any more questions.
The Submission Deadline is: 17 November 2023
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other UK scholarships here.