Application is now open for the UQLA Endowment Fund Scholarship at the University of Queensland. Interested candidates are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About the University of Queensland and Scholarship
The University of Queensland (UQ), often referred to as Queensland University, is a distinguished public research university situated primarily in the vibrant city of Brisbane, the capital of the Australian state of Queensland. With its establishment dating back to 1909, UQ holds a special place as one of Australia’s six sandstone universities, an informal classification recognizing the oldest university in each state. UQ boasts a rich heritage and stands as a founding member of edX, a prominent member of Australia’s Group of Eight universities, and an active participant in the esteemed Association of Pacific Rim Universities, dedicated to fostering international research collaboration.
At the heart of UQ’s academic presence lies its prominent St Lucia campus, which occupies a significant portion of the scenic inner suburb of St Lucia, located southwest of Brisbane’s bustling central business district. Beyond this main campus, UQ extends its reach throughout Queensland, with notable locations including the Gatton campus and the Mayne Medical School. The university’s global footprint is further augmented by overseas establishments, which encompass the UQ North America office based in Washington D.C., and the UQ-Ochsner Clinical School situated in Louisiana, United States.
UQ takes pride in offering a comprehensive range of academic degrees, catering to students at various stages of their educational journey. These degrees encompass associate, bachelor, master, doctoral, and higher doctorate programs, all delivered through a network of a college, a graduate school, and six faculties. In the realm of research, UQ stands at the forefront, housing an impressive array of over one hundred research institutes and centers. These institutions cover diverse fields, exemplified by the Institute for Molecular Bioscience, Boeing Research and Technology Australia Centre, the Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology, and the UQ Dow Centre for Sustainable Engineering Innovation.
In line with its commitment to nurturing academic talent and fostering inclusivity, UQ proudly introduced the UQLA Endowment Fund Scholarship in 2019. This scholarship initiative was established through the collective efforts of the University of Queensland Law Alumni Association (UQLA) members, brought to life under the Create Change Scholarship Match Initiative, and is sustained through the income generated from the endowment fund. UQLA not only engages its alumni community through a diverse array of programs but also champions a series of initiatives aimed at providing vital support to underprivileged students on their educational journey, ensuring they have the opportunity to complete their studies.
Details about the UQLA Endowment Fund Scholarship at the University of Queensland:
Scholarship Sponsor: University of Queensland, Australia
Scholarship Value: Up to $9,000
Number of awards: Varies
Study level: Undergraduate
Host Institution(s): University of Queensland, Australia
Enrolment Status: Future UQ student, Current UQ student
Eligibility Criteria for UQLA Endowment Fund Scholarship
Applicants are advised to meet the following prerequisites to be qualified for the UQLA Endowment Fund Scholarship at the University of Queensland:
- Be a domestic student: You should be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia to qualify for this scholarship.
- You should be able to provide evidence of your financial need or hardship to be considered for this scholarship.
- Be enrolled, or intend to enroll, full-time in the Bachelor of Laws (Honours) or a dual degree with the Bachelor of Laws (Honours).
The University of Queensland will consider the following factors when assessing candidates for the UQLA Endowment Fund Scholarship:
- Your ability to show that you are facing financial difficulties or hardship will be taken into account. This may require providing supporting documentation or information regarding your financial situation.
- Your academic performance and achievements, such as your academic record, grades, and any relevant academic awards or distinctions, will be considered.
- Your involvement and accomplishments in leadership roles, cultural activities, sports, or community service will also be part of the evaluation criteria. Highlight any leadership roles you have held or significant contributions you’ve made in these areas.
Note: The selection committee will convene shortly after the deadline and send you an official letter informing you of the results. They could get in touch with you to set up an interview if you get on the shortlist.
Application Procedure for UQLA Endowment Fund Scholarship
Interested and eligible candidates should apply for the UQLA Endowment Fund Scholarship through the application portal. Applicants should also include the following:
- your CV
- scholastic reports for years eleven and twelve, or specifics about your academic record in law at this university thus far
- proof of financial difficulties, such as income from family members, ATO statements, and Centrelink statements.
- honors, feats, or awards you won for your scholastic success when you were a student
And you’ll be asked to examine, in writing:
- the reasons for your interest in studying law and your career goals (maximum of 300 words)
- your financial situation or need (maximum of 500 words)
- your unique traits (no more than 500 words). This might be proof of your capacity for leadership, an explanation of your accountability to others, your participation in the community, your accomplishments in art or athletics, or anything else you feel is pertinent to your application.
You can only upload one file per field. If you have multiple files, combine them into one .doc .docx .pdf, or .zip file. Save your file using the naming format: Lastname-Firstname-Document type (e.g. SmithSam-supporting-evidence.zip).
Use these tips for putting together a great application to help you through this process.
The Application Deadline is: 16 February 2024
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Australia scholarships here.