Canadian schools that have Vanier CGS allocation are taking applications for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships for 2022/23 academic session.
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) was established to entice and retain first-class doctoral candidates and to establish Canada as an international centre of excellence in research and higher education. The scholarship awards are towards a doctoral degree program (or joint MA/PhD or MD/PhD).
The Government of Canada created the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) in 2008 to reinforce Canada’s ability to entice and retain first-class doctoral candidates and establish Canada as an international centre of excellence in research and higher education. Vanier Scholars display leadership skills and a high standard of academic accomplishment in graduate education in the social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
Worth of Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
The scholarship awards are valued at $50,000 each year for three years of doctoral education.
Eligibility for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
To be given consideration for a Vanier CGS, you have to:
- be nominated by only one Canadian school, which should have obtained a Vanier CGS quota;
- be seeking your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program like: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a proven and substantial research constituent). Note that only the PhD component of a joint degree is eligible for funding;
- plan to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic session subsequent to the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program like: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating school; Note that only the PhD part of a combined degree is qualified for funding;
- not have finished over 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2019
- have attained a first-class average, as decided by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equal. Candidates are advised to get in touch with the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
- ahouls not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship award or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undergo or complete a doctoral degree.
How to Apply for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Candidates should be nominated by a Canadian Institution with a quota at which they wish to study. Candidates are not able to apply directly to the Vanier CGS program.
- Applications are instigated in one of two ways. Either the student notifies the faculty of graduate studies at the chosen institution of their plan to apply to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships OR the institution commences the nomination process by getting in touch the desired candidate.
- Applications are arranged by the student and submitted to the nominating institution by their internal closing date using the ResearchNet application system.
- It is crucial to visit the official website (link provided below) to gain access to the application form and to know the full details on how to submit application for this scholarship.
Each student can only be nominated one time per competition. If over one institution is interested in nominating an individual candidate for a Vanier CGS, the candidate has to pick one institution to submit their nomination. Multiple nominations will not be considered.
|July – November 2021||Candidates seek a nominating institution, arrange and submit an application package.|
|Internal Deadline (varies)||Closing date to submit an application to the nominating institution. Get in touch with nominating institution for a specific date.|
|November 2, 2021 (20:00 EST)||Closing date for institutions to submit nominations to the Vanier CGS program.|
|November 2021 – March 2022||Review and assessment of nominations.|
|Early April 2022||Anticipated notification of results. Nominees will be informed by email when the results are published on ResearchNet.|
|May 1, 2022, September 1, 2022, or January 1, 2023||Payments begin.|
Candidates should inquire from nominating institution about the submission deadline. Applications should be submitted by nominating institutions by November 2, 2021 (20:00 EDT).
For more information, Visit here
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Canada scholarships here