Application is now open for the Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship at the University of Queensland. Interested candidates are encouraged to send in their applications before the deadline date.
About the University of Queensland and Scholarship
The University of Queensland (UQ), also known as Queensland University, is a prominent public research institution primarily situated in Brisbane, the capital of Queensland, Australia. It was established in 1909 by the Queensland parliament and holds the distinction of being one of the six sandstone universities in the country, representing the oldest university in each state. UQ is a founding member of edX and a part of the prestigious Group of Eight, known for its research-intensive focus, as well as the Association of Pacific Rim Universities.
The primary St Lucia campus is located in the picturesque inner suburb of St Lucia, southwest of the central business district in Brisbane. UQ boasts multiple campuses and facilities across Queensland, with the Gatton campus and the Mayne Medical School being among the most prominent. The university’s global presence extends to international establishments, including the UQ North America office in Washington, D.C., and the UQ-Ochsner Clinical School in Louisiana, United States.
Students who are interested in Asia and who wish to actively contribute to Australia’s success in Asia in their field of study are supported by the Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship.
It presents the chance to:
- Study for up to two semesters at a UQ exchange partner in Taiwan, Singapore, Japan, China, Hong Kong SAR, South Korea, or Japan
- Enroll in a leadership development program before beginning your exchange program to hone your global leadership abilities.
To foster closer commercial and cultural ties throughout the area, a deeper comprehension of Asian markets, cultures, and languages is essential. Future leaders in Australia will need to be linked to those markets, and using these prospects in the area will need an Asia-literate workforce.
Details about the Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship at the University of Queensland:
Scholarship Sponsor: University of Queensland, Australia
Scholarship Value: $12,250
Number of awards: May Vary
Study level: Undergraduate
Host Institution(s): University of Queensland, Australia
Enrolment Status: Current UQ student
Eligibility Criteria for Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship
Candidates are advised to meet the following requirements to be eligible for Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship at the University of Queensland:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Enroll full-time at UQ.
- Be an undergraduate student (including Honours students) enrolled in your second year or beyond when starting the exchange.
- Maintain a minimum credit average.
- Plan to participate in a university-approved exchange program for one to two semesters in mainland China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, or Taiwan, provided there are no travel restrictions.
- Intend to commence the exchange in semester 2, 2024, for the start of the semester at your host university in Asia, pending no travel restrictions.
Please note that most universities in the selected destinations refer to this as the ‘Fall semester.’ Additionally, you should apply and be accepted for a 1 or 2-semester exchange through UQ’s Global Experiences to any UQ exchange partner in the mentioned countries or regions, assuming there are no travel restrictions:
- People’s Republic of China
- Hong Kong SAR
- South Korea
Your application for the Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship at the University of Queensland will be evaluated based on several criteria:
- Your commitment and enthusiasm for building and enhancing Australia’s connections with the Asian region.
- Your ambition and potential to take on leadership roles and responsibilities in the context of fostering Australia-Asia relations.
- Your eagerness to learn from and be inspired by individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and disciplines.
- Your ability and interest in creating networks and collaborating with people from various fields, backgrounds, and cultures.
- Your confidence in facing and overcoming challenges, both in the pursuit of your academic goals and in the context of building connections with Asia.
- Your motivation to be a part of the Westpac 100 Scholars Network and to contribute to the community and its goals.
Application Process for Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship
Before you submit your application, you need to:
- Check your eligibility for student exchange.
- Discuss your scholar exchange options with the Global Experiences team.
- Apply for student exchange by the applicable deadline.
- 4 December, 5 pm – Applications close
- 6 – 19 December – University shortlisting
- 19 – 29 January 2024 – Video Interview Period
- 1 – 15 February 2024 – National Selection Panel Assessment Period
- 27 Feb – 1 Mar 2024 – Notify successful finalists
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Australia scholarships here.