Application is now open for the Terry Healy Memorial International Awards at the University of Waikato. Interested applicants are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About the University of Waikato and Scholarship
The University of Waikato, known as Te Whare Wānanga o Waikato in Māori, is a public research university situated in Hamilton, New Zealand. Established in 1964, it has an additional campus located in Tauranga. The university is actively involved in research across various disciplines, with a strong focus on education, social sciences, and management. It has earned recognition as an innovator in environmental science, marine and freshwater ecology, engineering, and computer science.
The Terry Healy Memorial International Awards are intended for students who are currently pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree, either on a part-time or full-time basis, in the field of Earth Sciences. Preference is given to students involved in marine sciences, although applications from all areas relevant to the ongoing research activities of the Earth Sciences subject within the School of Science will be considered.
Established in 2011, the Terry Healy Memorial International Awards was made possible through the generous contributions of Professor Terry Robin Healy’s family, colleagues, friends, and students. The award serves as a tribute to the significant contributions made by Professor Healy during his 38-year career at the University of Waikato, spanning from 1973 to 2010.
Professor Healy, a highly regarded coastal marine scientist, received numerous accolades for his work, including a Queen’s Birthday honor as a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit, a University of Waikato Medal, and a life membership of the New Zealand Coastal Society. He was also a distinguished member of the global coastal research community and played a pivotal role in fostering collaborative connections between colleagues and postgraduate students at the University of Bremen in Germany. This scholarship is awarded annually to deserving candidates.
Details about the Terry Healy Memorial International Awards at the University of Waikato:
Scholarship Sponsor: University of Waikato, New Zealand
Scholarship Value: $5,000
Number of awards: N/A
Study level: Postgraduate
Host Institution(s): University of Waikato, New Zealand
Courses: Earth sciences
The Award helps postgraduate students with domestic and foreign degree-related travel expenses (e.g., fieldwork, conducting fieldwork, accessing specialized analytical equipment, part-studying at an abroad university, or presenting research findings at a scientific conference).
- The value of the Award must be $5,000, payable as soon as reasonably possible following acceptance of the offer in a single lump payment, straight into the recipient’s bank account.
- The Award will be given out for a full year.
Eligible Criteria for the Terry Healy Memorial International Awards
Applicants are advised to meet the following requirements to be eligible for the Terry Healy Memorial International Awards at the University of Waikato:
- be enrolled full- or part-time in an Earth Sciences master’s program by research or doctorate program; and
- not before being granted the Award
- Academic Merit: The primary criterion for selection is academic excellence.
- Financial Hardship and Special Needs: Consideration is also given to applicants facing specific financial hardships, special needs, or other motivating factors.
- Preference for Marine Sciences: While preference is given to students studying in the field of marine sciences, applications from candidates pursuing studies in any area relevant to the current research activities of the Earth Sciences subject within the School of Science will be considered.
- No Previous Significant Awards: Special attention is provided to applicants who have not been granted other awards offering substantial financial support or who are not receiving substantial financial assistance through a research contract.
Application Procedure for the Terry Healy Memorial International Awards
If you are new to the University of Waikato you will need to:
- Before you may apply for scholarships and awards, complete an Application to Enrol. You can withdraw or alter your application at any time; it does not bind you to study at the University of Waikato.
If you are a current student or already have a Waikato account you will be redirected to the MyWaikato screen:
- Register and sign in to MyWaikato.
- Choose the scholarship you want to apply for from the list of scholarships at the bottom of the page by clicking on the “Scholarships” tab.
Once prepared, proceed with your application or applications by selecting the ‘Apply Now‘ option. The following details must be provided by each applicant as part of the online application process:
- A succinct explanation of the type of study being carried out;
- A concise synopsis of the advancements made thus far;
- Information about the goal for which the prize is requested; and
- Affliction financially or unique needs pertinent to the study carried out or suggested
The application for the intended use of the award and a certification that the applicant is not receiving any significant funds from research contracts or other sources that would normally be expected to cover those costs must also be submitted by each applicant. Additionally, each applicant must request the submission of a completed Chief Supervisor Statement. The statement will be obtained by direct communication between the University and the Chief Supervisor.
The Submission Deadline is: October 31, 2023
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other New Zealand scholarships here.